𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄. Through The Woods

The three went on through the forest lands, in silence that prevailed all around. The only sounds were their footsteps on dried leaves and exhausted breaths, and the usual, monotonous buzz of the crickets. There were occasional tweets of birds, other than it was oddly quiet in contrast to the buzzing park.

Shortly after they had started, Gray seemed to having hard time keeping up with their regular pace as he limped forward and it concerned both of Zach and Kate. It appeared that he had received a strain on his ankle, which he supposedly got during the jump. While it was nothing more than a mild strain, Kate assured after taking a look, it stung quite much. So, she had asked if he would like a piggyback to give his ankle some rest, and Zach, too, had offered the same, only to be turned down by Gray as he set off limping instead.

Kate tried to convince him but since the brothers suddenly seemed to have some issue on going between them, Gray did not agree to accept help not even from his brother. So, having no options, Kate led the brothers through the forest slowly to not rush Gray with his hurt ankle, but Gray, perhaps thinking he was slowing them down, only tried to stay ahead of them as though he was just fine. It concerned her and Zach even more but there was nothing to do about it. Kate did arrange an alternate solution for it; out of caution, she called for breaks after definite periods of trekking so that his pain might not worsen.

The sun was shifting away  over their heads slowly, but, from exhaustion, it already felt like a long walk. Although Gray had not uttered a complaint, Kate decided it was time for a break again, assuming from his rapid glances to his foot or wincing for the last few minutes that he could use another one now.

"Kate, I can seriously walk longer than this," huffed Gray through his grunts and limping upon hearing her; he did slow down but did not stop, "My ankle isn't hurting that bad, you know? If we keep taking breaks, how will we return to the park quickly?"

"But let's take another break," Kate reasoned in a soft tone, "I mean, Gray, you're full of stamina, that's why probably you feel you can do it longer. We should rest ourselves when we can, while it seems safer, or else we'll be tiring out soon and we might not have enough stamina in case something... strikes again." Kate carefully worded her concern so that Gray would not be mistaken thinking she was looking down on him, "Also, both of us are exhausted as well and could use another break right now, right, Zach?" She looked at Zach for some help, who quickly taking the cue, agreed.

"Yeah, man, like my feet feel so sore," he mumbled and slowly slid down against a tree to rest. He was not needing a rest this urgently either, but to convince Gray, he had to do it; plus, it was scorching hot so he could not say no to breaks. "Ughh, I wish I could drink something... My throat feels so dry..."

Gray seemed defeated as well, but he was barely showing it; he hesitated a bit before giving in and sat down by another tree, keeping his distance from Zach. Kate, too, was resting herself by a bush, as she observed the surroundings. There had to be water sources around, otherwise the trees and plants could not look so lively.

Silence prevailed as the trio sat scattered away from each other, although all three of them had flinched together when there was some random little noise. Kate was trying to recall the map of the island and decide which direction to go when they would start again, when some twittering birds sought her attention and she looked for it. There was a flock of white birds flying over the tall trees, and she continued to stare at their disappearing figures until Zach's voice brought her out of her reverie.

"Gray..?" called Zach hesitantly, taking a seat closer to his little brother. Gray, who was completely silent for the while, spared only a glance at him but said nothing. Kate looked to a distant part of the forest and occupy her mind with something else; she would  prefer giving  them some space but if she made any movement, it might or not interrupt their conversation...