𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄. Pig Loose

"PIG LOOSE!"

The scream caught all of their attention. The Gradys and Barry immediately sped off to the paddock to observe the situation. Intrigued, Hoskins decided to stick around a little longer to watch them.

There it was, the same piglet which was taken away after the training ended a while ago was back in the paddock and running. Kate was startled as to how it could have even happened, but to her relief one of the staff, a junior one apparently, was sent for its retrieval. As he paced over the narrow walkways which were set around all over the huge paddock carrying, in his hand was a long stick with an attached hoop on one of its ends to pick the piglet. She wondered if he would be able to do it fast, knowing he had started here only recently and the raptors were difficult to deal with, it would take only seconds for the raptors to get it if they appear in the scene.

Speak of the devil— it was not even seconds later that the raptors came out of the dense bushes; they looked around and sniffed, having caught a scent of it. Kate and Owen immediately sensed an imminent danger as soon as they saw the raptors but before they could warn, the five raptors had dashed for the pig. The staff had barely managed to grab the pig into the hoop when one of the raptors got it instead. The staff still tried to retrieve but the rest of the raptors had come, too, and in their hurdle to snatch the pig out of the hoop, the stick was swept off his grip instead such that the staff lost balance— he fell off the narrow walkway and down into the paddock.

Kate clapped a hand over her mouth at the turn of events. But the raptors had not yet noticed him, still squabbling among themselves for the piglet, which was one of the first times they had got themselves live meals. "We need to stop them... right now," muttered Owen, knowing the situation was sure to spiral out of grasp the moment they might notice the staff.

"No! Stand down, everyone! Blue!" Kate started shouting commands and hurried over to the side of the paddock where the raptors had cornered the piglet. Owen was to help put the staff, but before any of them had reached any closer there was a cry of the piglet, and red blood splattered to the ground; Blue had slashed it. Kate nearly choked at the sight of so much blood spilled over and stumbled to a halt and when Owen stopped on her side, she squeezed on Owen's wrist. And what was worse, was that the pig was not dead yet as it bled, squirmed, and screeched and the scene was as disturbing as it could be.

Kate felt a little swirl in her stomach; she was not so weak with the concept of injuries that happened to anyone including herself or her brother often during the training sessions, but no way was she used to see the spilling of so much blood at all. She might have been training them for a couple of years now and sure there had been a few serious accidents and casualties as well, but by luck, she had not witnessed any of the worse herself until now... Owen had never let her near the scenes afterward considering it would have been inappropriate for her age.

"Blue, no! Stand down!" Owen shouted and hit the bars with his arms to seek her attention. But at the same time, the staff, from the sight of blood, had failed to keep shut anymore and screamed. And that was enough to seize their attention from the pig. Slowly they turned at him, with rumbling growls. Though at first they seemed a little nervous and alarmed by his presence, the undeniably terrified look on the staff's eyes and face had boosted their courage to attack him within the next few seconds. The staff was better prey and a bigger meal to share... They made to advance on him, slowly spreading to surround him in case the staff tried to run, leaving the wounded pig behind. With the fresh wound, there was no way it could move or escape, anyways.

Owen, in his head, could see all the ways it could take a turn to the worst. He knew that unless action was taken quickly and right now, it could be too late to save the staff and there was no need for repetition of the last accidents...