𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. Raptors Attack

Kate immediately pulled down her rifle to the side, not wanting to make Delta feel threatened or agitated; she wanted her to know that she still trusted her so Delta could trust her as well.

Delta still held an intense gaze upon her that looked so merciless, as though she had failed to recognize Kate... yet hesitant and confused she looked, of her next action as she made a rumbling growl, which Kate could not tell if it was supposed to be a threatening growl or something else.

"You know me, Delta," Kate started slowly, while also trying to read Delta's eyes which were rather devoid of emotions. She wetted her dry lips with gaze locked on Delta, trying to choose words wisely not to trigger her more. "I'm not here to hurt you. And nobody will hurt you either, only if you will listen to me. I know all of it has turned really messy, but together we can figure it out, okay? But, first, I need you to stand down."

Kate waited but sighed when Delta only stood indifferently, and growled irritably when she repeated, clearly disinterested in complying. "Come on, girl. We can sort it out coolly, I know you'll listen to me at a point but we've got to be quicker. It won't be good if anyone else sees you. Please," But before she finished, the man trapped under the claws of Delta had cried out: "Just shoot her already!" And as though she had successfully interpreted his words, Delta snapped so close to his face and pressed her claws deeper, making him wince and cry fearfully.

"Delta, please, no!" Kate jerked forward. "Stop! Delta, you can't hurt him! He's just scared! But I promise this man won't hurt you if you let him go! Please!" Kate watched in wavering eyes as she muttered quick pleas quietly, panic pulsed in her stomach as she hoped not to need the rifle she was hiding behind her back with a hand unless Delta showed the first of proceeding to kill. But Delta finally pulled a grip on herself with an unhappy growl.

"That's it, that's my girl," Kate slowly let out the breath she had bern holding in. "Look, I'm trying to help you, don't you trust me? You need to understand, it's not right, I cannot let you do wrong. You need to let him go, and you need to leave before others find us here." She did not know how to convince her fast or if her words were enough persuasive as Delta continued to stare impassively, but then there were noises of heavy boots marching closer, and fast: the soldiers, she knew at once, who would deliberately riddle the raptor's body with bullets as soon as they would see their comrade in danger — while they sure mean to save the man, Kate, guiltily, still felt the urge to protect Delta from harm.

"Delta, go, go, go! They're coming, they won't hold back if they see!" She warned again and again exasperatedly; her earpiece which had been dead for some time had finally came alive swiftly subsided out of her notice. Delta had sure sensed them, too, but, somehow, was not too quick to act; before she had backed off, a pack of soldiers had arrived on spot. "No! Don't shoot!" cried Kate at once with her arms outstretched in a defending manner, but the soldiers regardlessly opened fire at Delta, after pushing her aside.

But the bullets barely had any effect except fuelling up Delta, who dodged and spun and whipped her tail to knock them off their feet, and now with her back at Kate, she faced them with a ferocious squeal.

"Delta! NO!" shouted Kate, but she could not stop Delta from counterattacking when some of the soldiers opened fire once again taking advantage of the little distraction her voice had posed for Delta.

"What's happening? Kate, talk to me!"

Her earpieces buzzed for the second time in a while but went unnoticed and unattended, once again, under the thunderous firing which was only intensifying every second. Panic-stricken, Kate took steps back, knowing she would have no effect on Delta anymore, but froze again as her conscience constricted, her fingers numb upon the rifle that was still hidden. There was no telling if it would end with Delta's death or in triumph if she might continue her victory saga upon her, and she did not know whether she should try to intercede further. But she did not wait another second and, although feeling cowardly of herself, broke into a run to the opposite direction at once, across the field full of long grasses.