Chapter 4 - Three Friends

Once they pulled out of the parking lot, I heard a small round of applause coming from the corner of the café.

I turned to see a girl smiling at me from her chair and clapping.

The two guys that were sitting across the table from her were trying to suppress their laughter. 

The girl stood up and walked over to me while continuing to clap softly, only stopping when she reached me.

She was dressed in a simple red hoodie and a pair of gently faded blue jeans. Her black hair was pulled up into a ponytail, which swung back in forth as she walked.

"You! You are my new personal hero, and I don't even know your name! Please tell me who you are so I can properly thank you for the greatest day of my life," she held out her hand to me, "I'm Mia by the way and your new number one fan."

I took her hand in mine and shook it even though I was lost in this conversation, "Um, Lana. Lana Boyden. "

Her eyes brightened for a second and her smile grew wider, "Well Lana, it's a pleasure to meet you. Was it an accident or was it a really well-timed plan to dump powdered sugar and coffee all over Brynn?"

I looked down at the mess I created and cringed as the image of a bubble gum girl on the verge of tears flashed across my mind. 

"It was an accident, I was just trying to help carry in boxes and I didn't see her," I admitted, feeling guilty that I didn't get the chance to explain that to Brynn.

"Dang! It was an accident, you guys!" she called over to the two boys sitting in the corner.

They let out a chorus of boo's and then broke into the fit of laughter they had been trying to contain.

"Are you meeting someone here?" asked Mia.

I shook my head no. 

"Perfect! Come join us. We still have a couple of minutes to kill before school anyway."

Mia took hold of my hand and dragged me to the empty chair next to her friends, "Sit, sit, sit. Don't be shy, we won't bite."

She plopped back down into her chair and smiled as I sat down next to her. I have never met someone so energetic and happy to meet a stranger before and her cheerfulness was contagious.

"Guys, meet Lana. Lana Boyden," saying my name with way more emphasis than necessary but it made me smile.

The two guys looked at me with bright eyes and the brown-haired one held out his hand, "I'm George, and this is Trevor. What you did to Brynn was amazing. That girl deserves way more iced coffee to the face than she currently gets."

Trevor nodded his head in agreement, "Absolutely. I bet you're going to be coined the school hero after this."

I sighed, "I didn't do it on purpose though! I couldn't see her trying to walk out. Plus, apparently, I am going to regret it. So now I think I have to fear for my life the minute I step into that school."

Mia patted me on the back, "That's okay, we'll help protect you. By the way, how come I have never seen you at school before? I know it's a huge and all, but I at least recognize most of the kids that go there."

I adjusted my dress and brushed off some sugar that had gotten onto it, "This is actually my first day. I have been homeschooled up until now."

They shared a look with each other that I couldn't read before turning back to me and smiling. These guys had the whole telepathic communication down so well that it was bordering on freaky.

"Well, welcome! You sure have a way of starting off with a bang by destroying the queen bee's totally perfected outfit," said Trevor, imitating Brynn's voice at the end.

I chuckled, "Do you actually think she is going to try and get revenge?"

I was honestly a little afraid of the answer. I didn't know what type of revenge a girl like Brynn could come up with, but I'm sure it wasn't going to be pleasant. 

She will probably try and dump blood on me at prom night or something.

"Oh I don't know, since your new, she has no idea who you are so she probably won't be able to find you. Let us see your schedule, maybe we share some classes and can help watch your back," asked Mia. 

I pulled out the piece of paper from my backpack and slipped it onto the table. They all looked at it for a second before looking up at me in confusion.

"You only have one class on here," George deadpanned.

I shrugged my shoulders and smiled, "I only planned on taking one class. I'm still homeschooled for everything else."

"Cool," the guys said in unison.

What did I tell you?
It's freaky, right?

"Well, then that makes this super easy. We may not share a class with you but the chances of her taking a theatre class are next to nothing. You'll be fine! She will probably never see you again and eventually forget all about this," Mia said confidentially.

Trevor scoffed at her, "I hope you're right Mia."

She shrugged her shoulders and looked at her phone, "Come on guys, unfortunately, we still have to get to class."

They all grabbed their stuff from the floor and stood up to leave. Mia looked back down at me, "Take the 11:30 class and then come eat lunch with us before you leave okay? I'll find you outside of the theatre."

And just like that, my eyes trailed them as they walked across the parking lot and towards the school. Mia was talking with bubbling excitement about something while the two guys followed behind and smiled at her.

I hunched over in my chair and placed my forehead on the cold table. I took a moment to collect my thoughts since the events of the last couple of minutes had left me spinning.

I walked into the school at 11:20 so that I would have time to find the classroom. It wasn't going to be that hard though since it took place in the auditorium.

A shrill bell rang, and all hell broke loose as students poured into the hallway like floodwater. I was already standing outside of the theater doors and I shrunk back into the wall so that I was completely out of the way of what felt like a stampede.

Noise was coming from every direction and so I tried to block it out by putting my headphones in. I was scrolling through my music trying to decide on a song when I felt the feeling of someone watching me. I glanced up and looked around but the hallway was so full I couldn't figure out where the sense was coming from.

There were people shoving stuff into lockers directly across from me but none of them were looking my way. I looked up to the upper-level balcony and still, there was no one. I could still sense someone was watching me though and it was making me nervous.

The loud clang of a locker closing caught my attention and my head snapped to the left.
Sadly, it was just a guy closing it shut as he walked off without even sparing me a glance. I decided to shrug the feeling off and let it go.

I was still the new girl so maybe someone was just curious as to who I was.

I saw the doors to the auditorium swing open and I dashed inside, thankful to be out of the crowded hallway.