Chapter 21 - Sleep Over

I had just finished wiping the counter when I heard the unfamiliar sound of the doorbell ring.

I had spent most of the morning cleaning my house since Mia was spending the night. I took another look around the kitchen to make sure that the mess that had been accumulating for the past couple of days was gone from existence. There was no way I was about to let her come here and see the mountain of dishes that had formed in the sink.

I tossed the rag into the hamper and skipped to the front door.

I gingerly peeked around the curtain to make sure that it was actually Mia at the door.

She caught me peeking and waved excitedly, "Open the door!" she yelled while readjusting her overnight bag onto her shoulder.

I smiled and took a deep breath to calm my nerves before I turned the knob. As soon as the door was open wide enough to fit a small cat, she pushed the door open and was across the threshold before I could even say hello.

"Lana!" she exclaimed, letting her overnight bag fall to the floor with a thunk, as she took me into a bone-crushing hug.

"Mia! How are you? Did you have trouble finding the place?" I asked.

She released me and went to pick up her bag, "I did at first because I thought that I had picked the wrong driveway. I thought it was taking way too long to reach your house and that a driveway couldn't be this long. I had almost turned around twice but thankfully I kept going because here I am! Your house is totally gorgeous by the way."

"Thank you! Here, follow me," I closed the door and moved further into my house, "We're going to sleep in the basement so I thought you would want to dump your stuff down there. I can give you the grand tour after that if you want?"

"I would love too!" she exclaimed.

As we made our way to the basement I could feel the excitement rolling off Mia in waves and her energy was contagious.

"So how was your week? I feel like I haven't seen you in ages," she asked as she followed me down the staircase.

I opened the door to the basement and felt a little wave of guilt as I thought about how I had agreed to go to dinner with Austin on Wednesday. I knew that she didn't like him and I wasn't sure how long I could keep that from her. Lying wasn't the smartest way to start a friendship but then again, telling her the truth wouldn't help that much either.

"It was good. Not as eventful as my first-day thank goodness," I cringed at the memory of a very angry girl dressed in bubble gum pink.

"Oh my god, that's right! I almost forgot about that epic moment when you knocked all that coffee and sugar all over Brynn! Have you run into her since then?" she asked.

I let out a sigh of relief, "Thankfully no. She said that I was going to regret it but I guess she has decided to let it go. I don't think we'll cross paths again since she's not in my theatre class."

I stopped us in the living area where I had set up blankets and pillows on the couches and let Mia pick the one she wanted.

"Nice basement. I was worried for a second there would be more spiders but I am happy to report that I was wrong. Anyway, I'm surprised the Brynn hasn't sought you out yet because that girl can hold a grudge like no other. I've seen her dismantle girls into nothing but puddles of tears with some of the ways she has retaliated."

I shrugged my shoulders, "I guess I got lucky? I don't know, it's been three weeks so I'm not sure I have to worry about it at this point."

Mia placed her bag onto the couch and jumped when a small squeak came from the bundle of blankets.