Chapter 4

I walked out the door into the hot sun. As soon as I did, I smelled the strong scent of cigarettes. I turned my head to the left and saw Dallas sitting on the concrete beside the door with a cigarette in his hand and his famous grin on his face.

"How long have you been waiting on me Dal?" I asked.

"Depends," He began and then took a long drag. "How long you been in there again?"

"You've been waiting on me the whole time?"

He shrugged and then proceeded to tell me it was only because he had nothing better to do. I found that hard to believe. Dallas Winston always had something to do.

We started walking until we reached the DX. During Summers I occasionally take a few shifts at the register here. It was April so I would probably be talking to Mr. Gibson soon to see if I could start coming in again. I always enjoyed working the register. Few socs came in unless they were girls attempting to pick up Soda. Soda and I have a little history. I've always felt a little for Sodapop. It's hard not to, he's charming and gorgeous and I know for a fact he'd treat me like a queen. But there was always something missing. We tried going out a couple times, and it was really fun. Then we kissed and I knew there wasn't a future there. And he knew it too. Our personalities were too similar and different at the same time. I love Soda, but in order to fall in love with him, I think there would need to be more danger or spark. And with Soda, everything is safe and familiar.

"Hey bums." Steve said once we arrived after rolling out from underneath the Chevy bel air he was working on.

"What Soc left this baby here?" I asked running my hand across the beautiful turquoise surface.

"Cherry's cousin Dani." Soda responded coming from around the corner with a towel laying on his shoulder.

"I didn't know Dani was in town? I'll have to stop by there tomorrow and say hi." This remark made Dally role his eyes. He couldn't stand the fact that I was friends with the socials. Especially when I dated Randy last Summer. I really liked Randy and we dated for a couple of months. I liked all of Randy's friends too, except Bob. And when I found out Bob and Randy hurt Ponyboy and Johnny. I threw my drink in his face and told him to make nice with himself. I haven't spoke to either since. The thing is, I know Randy and Bob both could be good guys, they just choose to let their status stop them from achieving that. And that's a shame.

"Why do you even live on this side of town Lydia? You're basically already one of those pieces of trash. You dress like em', talk like em', and you like em'. Face it kid, you ain't a grease." Dallas's words were harsh and poured out of his mouth like poison.

"Texas, you know I'm not one of them. I hate labels. I'm me okay. And I love you and the rest of the gang. That's why I live on this side of town." I responded and tried to put my hand on his shoulder but he moved and lit another cigarette.

"Whatever man, I'm gonna go alright. I'm gonna hunt some action." He said straightening up his jacket.

"What happened to us hanging out?" I asked slightly hurt.

"Change my mind." Was all he said as he walked away leaving me alone. I turned to Steve and Soda and told them I had to walk home and get my car so I could pick up Pony and Johnny. They said their goodbyes and I was off.

Right when I was crossing the street I heard a familiar noise. The sound of a mustang crawling up behind me.

"Bitch!" Yelled Bob as he threw his coke out the window landing and splashing all over me. I stood there in shock as the boys laughed.

"Screw off Bob!" I yelled back immediately regretting my words. I was only a quarter mile a way from the house and I was fast. The car came to a screeching stop and I took off. Running as fast as I could as I heard the sound of three boys running after me.

"Grab her John!" Was all I head and then I felt someone pull me down. John, Bob, and Landon all stood above me. Bob sat on my hips and pressed a knife to my throat while John and Landon held down my arms and legs.

"You know Lydia, it's a reaaal shame you chose those greasy hoods over Randy. We could've been friends you know?" He was drunk. I could smell the alcohol as he leaned close to my face.

"I would've never been friends with you! You're trash Bob Sheldon! That's why Cherry left you!" My bitter words earned me a vicious slap in the face.

"You really are a looker. It's a shame Randy couldn't get into your pants when he had the chance." I knew it was dumb but I did it anyways. I spit on his face and he just laughed.

"You're dead bitch." Was all he said before he began pounding into my face. I felt a sharp slice in my chest and I started screaming.

"Darry!! Soda! Dallas!" But before I knew it I was out.

I woke up what felt like hours later on my couch at home. Dallas was standing across the room leaning up against the wall.

"What the hell were you thinking?" He yelled.

"I had to get home so I could get Pony and Johnny. You left so I walked alone." I responded and that shut him up. Pony and Johnny came in shortly with ice and water.

"Here, we got you this." Pony said handing me the necessary goods. I thanked them and then Dally stormed out and I was asleep again.