Chapter 29

My eyes were still on the door when a nurse approached me.

"I need to speak to the family of Dallas Winston."

"That's me, I'm his wife." I said nervously.

"I'm sorry but Dallas slipped into a coma." She kept talking. But I didn't hear her. I tried. I tried to hear her but I couldn't. I couldn't work. I couldn't function. I finally knew why. Because Dallas was apart of me. When his heart jumped, mine jumped. When Dallas was shot, I was shot. Dallas was in a coma, I was in a coma.

"Lydia she said you can go see him." Darry said laying a hand on my shoulder.

"Coma." I repeated turning toward him. He was trying so hard to be strong for me, but I saw it. The fear and realization that I may be a widow. It terrified him.

"He's going to make it Lydia." Steve said taking a small step forward. Johnny ran to find Soda and Pony and Two-bit. I think that's where he went. He loves Dallas too, so he may just be running. Running away.

I didn't say anything. I just walked to the hallway the lady had told me when my ears were shutting down. It was the longest walk I had ever encountered. At one point I wondered if I was really walking or not. I read the number. 52. Door 52. I walked in and saw him there and something inside me snapped. I started screaming. I couldn't hear myself but I felt it. Darry was there so fast, his strong arms around my small body before I hit the ground. I couldn't do this. I couldn't lose him. I just laid in Darry's arms screaming.

"Lydia, it's okay. Shhhh it's okay baby." He tried so hard to comfort me but it didn't work. I wanted nothing more than for Dallas to just be himself. And right now he wasn't. I know he'd hate to see himself like this. So vulnerable. I hated it too. I just laid there, I'm not sure how long. Darry just let me cry. He held me as close as he could.

I finally stopped. I'm not sure if I ran out of tears or just went into denial. "He's okay." I whispered once too quiet for Darry to hear. I repeated it and this time he's stroked my hair and reassured me I was right.

"Why don't you go sit by his bed, I'll leave you two alone." He recommended while slowly taking his arms off me for the first time in hours. I nodded and walked next to Dallas.

"Hey." I said running a hand over his face. The machines were creating a noise that I couldn't explain. I hated it. "I know you can't hear me, and that's okay. But I just wanted to talk to you. You gotta wake up baby."

I thought my tears were gone, but they somehow found a way to fall again. I just held his hand. His rough calloused hands that so many times sent shivers down my spine now sent tears down my face. "I love you Dallas Winston. And you have to wake up because-"I started and the boys started to walk in quietly.

"We can leave..." Ponyboy said speaking for all of them.

"No. Stay, you guys need to hear this too." I whipped away another tear and cleared my throat. I smiled at him. Even as empty as he appeared he was still my husband. The husband I loved more than anything.

"Dallas, you have to wake up. You have to, because I love you and the boys love you. And I need you Dallas Winston. I need you." I took a deep breath in between my tears. The boys all stood behind me trying not to cry. I had to tell him. Even if he couldn't hear me, I had to say it.

"I'm pregnant Dallas."