Chapter 21

Here's a pic of her dress that Mrs

Here's a pic of her dress that Mrs.Jones gave her!

This was it. My wedding day. I woke up excited and nervous as hell. I ran to the bathroom as soon as I woke up and threw up. Soda walked in and started rubbing my back.

"You ain't pregnant are you baby?" He cracked a wild grin at his snide comment.

"She better not be." Darry replied walking in with some pills and a water.

"Geez Lydia you okay?" Ponyboy joined in.

"Yes I'm fine just get the hell out!" I was annoyed at them all three of them standing our small bathroom. When I finished throwing up I walked down stairs to find the whole gang, except Dallas.

"I told Dally he ain't aloud to come see ya till the wedding." Johnny informed me. "I'm bout to head to Buck's to help him get ready, since I'm the best man and all. Just wanted to tell you I love ya first." He smiled his sweet smile.

"Thanks Johnny Cade. I love you too. Now go make sure my hot fiancé doesn't run out on me." I said gently shoving him to the door. He left after saying a quick goodbye.

"TODAY'S THE DAY!" Cherry yelled barging through the door. She's almost as comfortable in this house as the rest of us now.

"Good morning Sherry." Darry greeted her while handing her a cup of coffee.

"Morning boys! Come on let's go get ready!" She started pulling me to the door.

"Cherry, where are you going? My room is this way." I said motioning to the stairs.

"Blondie we are not getting ready for some date at the dingo. It's your WEDDING day! I have some friends that will fix you up perfect. Don't worry it's my treat." She said smiling at me. Sometimes it amazed me how generous and gorgeous one person could be.

We hopped in her hot car and traveled to the West side of town. We arrived at the small beauty parlor in a few minutes. Cherry knew everyone that worked their by name and made sure to get a specific person to do my hair and makeup.

"I need Isabelle Benson for her hair. And Jayden Cecelia for her makeup please." She requested the best to the small lady at the counter. She had short purple hair that stuck straight up. She was small, probably 5'0 and couldn't have weighed more that 100 pounds. She nodded her hair and smacked her gum as she wrote down what Cherry said. I felt like a polar bear on the beach. All these beautiful girls with their hair and makeup done perfectly. I was not one of these girls. But Cherry was going to make it her job that I was for today.

"Miss Carter?" A woman I assumed to be Isabelle, called out. I stood up and she instructed for Cherry and I to follow her.

"What are we doing today girls?" She asked leaning up against the wall with a brush in her hand. I sat in a red chair looking at my plain features in the mirror.

"I think we need to lighten the color. She's got a honey blonde but I think a bleach would be better. And then after the color she needs an updo. Her dress has a beautiful back and I want everyone to see it." Cherry was a professional at this. I grinned at how focused she was on my hair. Isabelle lifted up my hair and looked at it and then ran her fingers through it softly, still inspecting.

"She's got a lot of hair. This is gonna be fun." Isabelle said causing Cherry and I to smile.

"You ready Carter?" She asked turning me around. I nodded and laughed slightly nervous. Then she got started.

Hours later my hair was finally done up beautifully. Loose braids rolled up into a curly updo, while parts of my now bleach blonde hair fell down the side of my face in perfect spirals. I was amazed at how glorious the masterpiece was Isabelle had created. Now was my makeup.

Jayden walked over shortly after Isabelle finished to begin my makeup. Cherry told her she wanted a soft golden eye look. She also wanted a pink lip. One that looked natural and elegant. Jayden and Cherry both discussed the structure of my face. From the sharpness in my jaw to my full cheeks.

"She's pretty." Jayden said taking a look at me. "This should be fun." She smiled at me. She was nicer that Isabelle. She looked at me like a human instead of a canvas.

The makeup didn't take as long, but still a good hour. Finally when I was all done Cherry laid the ladies and we both thanked them for their amazing job. I glanced in the mirror every few seconds. I couldn't help it, I had never looked like this before. I was never ugly, I had nice features, but at the moment I looked beautiful. And that was not something I was used to.

"I know right?" Cherry said laughing when she caught me staring at myself.

"It's crazy." I admitted still not taking my eyes of myself. "I look.." I couldn't find the words. But Cherry found them for me.

"Like your mom." She said softly.

"Yeah. Yeah I guess do." This made me happy. She wasn't here, but in a way she was. Living through me.

When I got home, Cherry made all the boys close their eyes. I wanted everyone to be surprised when they got the whole effect. We went straight to my room and slipped me into my dress. I looked into my full length mirror in awe.

"I'm getting married." I said quietly.

"Yes you are." She grinned at me. "Okay I have to go get ready, Mrs. Jones and I will meet you there." She started to leave before I stopped her.

"Cherry wait."

"Yeah?" She asked softly.

"Thank you." Before she could tell me it was 'nothing' I continued talking. "I've grown up with, what felt like seven brothers. And for the first time ever, I feel like I have a sister."

She walked back to me and hugged me. "I love you Lydia." Was all she said and then she left. Leaving just me, and the the girl I didn't recognize in the mirror.