Chapter 16

We walked into the Curtis house together the day Dallas was released. The boys were all sitting in the living room. When we entered the chatting stopped and all the attention was on us. They knew Dallas had bought a ring but after everything had happened they didn't know my opinion on it.

"We're engaged." I said holding my left hand up to show off my beautiful ring. They all started yelling loudly. Darry ran over and picked me up and spun me around while Two-bit and Steve hit Dally on the shoulder and congratulated him. I was never on the ground. As soon as Darry set me down Ponyboy picked me up and then threw me to Soda. Sodapop kissed me on the cheek and then set me down. Johnny was next to sweep me off my feet. We were all laughing and still yelling. I was getting married. I was going to be Lydia Mae Winston.

"Mrs. Jones?" I called as I opened the door to the library. "Hello?"

"Lydia Mae, is that you?" She walked around the corner. I smiled at her and held up my hand. Her face was the purest thing I'd ever seen. Her hands flew to her mouth and then she walked to me as fast as her 72 year old body would allow her.

"Lydia I'm so happy for you. Dallas purposed?" I nodded and she brought both her hands to her heart.

"Lydia, it's time I show you something. But you must promise me this stays between us." I nodded my head as an agreement and she walked me to the back room of the library. There was an old desk with tall cabinets on each side. I had never been in this room, it was like Mrs. Jones office.

She pulled out a small box and inside were small trinkets and one single photo. The photo was old. It was a young girl with beautiful blonde hair. She was holding onto a boys arm who had black hair and was wearing a nice suit to match her long dress.

"This is James. The love of my life. James went to war deer, and while he was away we decided to see other people. He didn't think it was fair for me to wait on him, although I would have waited my whole life for one second of his time.   That's when I met Harold. Harold Jones. He was a kind man who worked with my father. My father insisted that I marry him. So I did. And James married another woman and had a daughter. Then he went back to war and passed away. His wife, Ruth, had moved her and her daughter up North. Her daughter grew up to be a beautiful woman. I always kept up with Ruth. Ruth and I, we had understanding. That James was the love of both of our lives, and with him gone we'd do anything to protect his family. Ruth's daughter, Carol, married the wrong man. But he gave her the most glorious gift. A son. Ruth told me how extraordinary her grandson was, she told me I had to meet him someday. She even sent me this picture." She pulled out a picture of a baby boy with the same jet black hair James had. He looked very similar to James. "I was so thankful for this small piece of James, I sent her a gift too. A silver necklace with a cross on it, one James had given me." When she said this I put my hand to my neck realizing I still wore Dally's necklace. That's when it hit me. "Dallas is that baby, deer. Dally is James's grandson. The spitting image of the love of my life."