Chapter 1

Evelyn's POV

It was weird to wake up every morning, only to open my eyes to see darkness. It had been a year, and I still wasn't used to it.

Before the accident, I could see clearly. Perfect 20/20 vision. The way colors clashed together and how light filtered through the world. I took seeing for granted.

That stupid party ruined it. No more seeing the beauty of life and nature.I let out a noise of disgust. If only I knew what would have happened that night.

"Evelyn!" I heard my mother call from downstairs. I guess that meant I couldn't dwell on the past anymore. I jerk my body up off my bed, and let my feet hit the floor. Fuck, it was cold. The light streaming through the windows, kissed my skin. Nice, amazing warmth.

My mind continued to skip around all of my senses. A soft bed, the warm light, a cold floor, and the smell of pancakes. Pancakes! That was something that couldn't be left in the past.

I stood up and ran my hand along my bed. Could making my bed wait? Yes. I went straight to my closet and stuck my hand inside.

The bad thing about losing your sight, no color. Would I ever know if my clothes were matching? Nope, never, not unless someone told me, but who knows if they are telling the truth. Most of my clothes were neutral colors anyway, so it was kind of hard to find an outfit that didn't match; but worrying about something that didn't matter that much, wouldn't change anything. I might just look like a fool that day.

After feeling around a bit I settled on what I thought was a striped long sleeved sweater. I had a few sweaters, but I was sure that this one had stripes on it by the way it felt. It was over-sized and good for early spring weather.

I turned around and found my desk. I laid the sweater down on my chair and went back to the closet. "Evelyn!" My mother called again, "Breakfast is almost ready. Do you need any help?" "No." I replied, "I'm just picking out clothes."

It was frustrating not being able to do all the things a normal 19 year old girl should be able to do. Going out was a chore. Being at home has always been better, even before that night, but I knew my way around here. I guess it was like Courage the Cowardly dog, everything outside is unknown; except for me there is random shit everywhere I can't see. That show is on LSD anyway.

I sighed and continued to rummage through my clothes for something to wear. My hands found their way to a denim skirt. Is my style today art hoe or something? "Please be the black one." I whispered to it even though it could never hear me or talk back. It also got placed on my chair.

I quickly grabbed a pair of fishnets and took all of my clothes to my bed. On my way back to my bed, I heard the front door open. My curiosity peaked, so I started to quickly change. My pj's, which just consisted of a crop top and some comfy pants, got shoved underneath my pillow so I could find them at night. I couldn't just put my stuff anywhere anymore. Everything had a certain spot so I could find it again.

I slipped on some house shoes and opened my door. My fingers found the wall next to me, and I proceeded to slowly go down the stairs. It was only slow because my little brother liked to put his toys all along the stairs, but going slow was much better than falling and breaking something.

"Nice to see you, finally!" My mother exclaimed. I was soon wrapped in a warm embrace from her. A deep laugh came from somewhere behind my mom. "Brandon!" I opened my arms for hug. "Your hair is a mess." He said as his arms wrapped around my waist. Suddenly, I was in the air, spinning in circles. "When did you get here?" I ask, as he put me back down on earth.

Which direction was I facing now? I looked to where his voice had come from, which was nearly straight up considering how much taller he was than me. I remember how his deep brown hair curled on his forehead, and his icy blue eyes were so sweet yet so cold.

"Not but too long ago." He smoothly replied, "I figured I would stop by, give you some company considering most people are off to college." Like normal 19 year old's are doing, I wish I could say. I would never be able to be as normal as I once was anymore. He must have noticed my change in mood as he ushered me to the table for some pancakes.

"Wow, your hair is a wreck." He said again as he handed me my fork and I dug into my plate of three, neatly stacked, syrup drenched pancakes. "What do you mean? My hair is always a wreck." It was true My red wildly curly hair never seemed to stay in place. It was weird to not attempt to style it every morning. My hair, unironically, often gets compared to Merida's from the movie Brave.

Not being able to see my appearance freaks me out. I don't wear makeup unless someone else does it for me. Even though makeup made me feel beautiful, I have learned to live without it. In fact, not wearing makeup everyday gave me a new type of confidence It is kind of freeing to not have to put on makeup just to feel beautiful, even though I would prefer to cover my freckles.

"I'll just put a comb through it after breakfast." Brandon said, his soft-hearted voice cutting through my thoughts. "I can still brush it, you know." I pointed out.

"I know, but I want to." He said lightly. I didn't reply. It didn't matter much what I said, I would still end up sitting on the couch with him brushing my hair.

Soon plates were cleaned and hair was brushed. Well, as much as you can brush curly hair. My little brother, who was eight, still went to school so he was long gone for most of the day. He didn't really understand the fact that I couldn't see anymore; he also tended to forget about it, too. I wish I could forget sometimes too. Thank god I graduated fast though. I don't think that I could've done it longer without seeing.

I shudder at the thought. Graduation was an awful day. Terrifying in fact. I need to stop dwelling on the past.