Chapter 2

Evelyn's POV

     "Do you want to go to the park?" Brandon asked. We had been sitting on my bed listening to music. 

     I used to love going to the park, especially to read, write, or just to clear my mind. Now though, because I can't see, it is hard to go places on my own. No reading unless it was Braille or an audio book, no writing unless it was also Braille, but I barely knew Braille. It also took me forever to read a book now-a-days .

      He continued, "Quinn probably needs to get out along with you anyway." Quinn, a golden retriever, is my service dog. We got her not too long after I had lost my sight. From what I had heard, she was gorgeous. Not only was she gorgeous, she helped me not run into stuff. Even though I had my cane, it was very helpful to have her. It was weird to have something I had never seen before help me to not accidentally kill myself. I had to trust that dog with my life, but I did.

     "I guess so." I replied hesitantly. I didn't want anyone from high school to see me. Plenty still made fun of me for it, pushed me around or threw things at me. Even though what I went through was a traumatic experience. Most kids didn't understand either. Their parents almost always tended to keep their children away from me, not just because I had a service dog, but it was also because it was obvious that I was blind.

    I miss kids coming up to me and asking to play. I frowned. "Hey, it will be okay." Brandon began, "I'll be there. I figure that there won't be many people there either." I was still weary of going though. 

     Brandon got up from his space on my bed and grabbed my shoes. He slipped my house shoes off and put some short fluffy socks on. I could've objected to him helping me because I could have easily done it myself, but I knew that he likes to help me. "You know one day I'll have to do all of these things on my own." I teased

     "Maybe," He replied, "but for now I'll be here." I smiled. It was nice to know that I had such a good friend. We walked down the stairs. Brandon was kicking small toys out of my way. Thank god he didn't mind walking slow or helping me with the things I need help with. He had been one of the few people who didn't distance themselves away from me. 

     We had been friends since childhood. He had helped me through everything, just like I had for him. He had been with me that awful night. He's the reason I'm still alive. I shouldn't be thinking about that night now anyway. Quinn, who had been sleeping periodically in my little brother's room, now had her special leash attached to her service dog harness. Brandon handed me my cane after I put on some extra tinted sunglasses and then stepped out into the outside land.

     Outside, I'm vulnerable. It's unknown. Yes, I've walked this way hundreds of times, but it didn't mean I could do it alone. People aren't trustworthy. I could be easily overpowered, too easy. It was one of the reasons why I have a service dog. Any kind of protection is better than none. Brandon being right here next to me helps. He's a tall ass guy.

     I let out a sigh. I would prefer to do things on my own, not having to depend on people. Quinn was off to my left and Brandon was off to my right. My cane was stashed away in my bag that I carried. I didn't need it right now, Brandon was helping me enough to go without it. Our arms were locked together to help support me. I could nearly walk at a normal pace now.

     It was refreshing to get outside for once. The sounds of rustling leaves, our footsteps on the side walk, the occasional bird, and the few cars that went through my neighborhood at this hour. These sounds were soothing in a way. I guess it was just nice background noise.