Chapter 6

Medusa POV

"I have an arrangement with a friend who brings me food and other such
things once a week." I explained slowly. There she was asking more and more questions that I was forced to answer with half truths. Currently, I was rummaging through an old wardrobe in one of the many guest rooms I have. The room I put her in was down the hall from mine. It had a huge bed with white bedding, a mirror that would be of no use to the blind girl, two floor to ceiling windows that would also be of no use to her, a nightstand, and the wardrobe. I found what I was looking for and held it up. It was a long green dress that was strappy and backless. I hoped that she wouldn't mind too much. Her attire was, interesting.

I have lived through many years and seen fashion take many different turns and twists. This was something that I had never seen though. She looked as if she was trying to dress masculine? I tested the word in my head.

I didn't know many new words because of my solitude, but Jaime, the person who brought me things once a week, helped me learn. They had stumbled upon here once and was lucky enough to not get turned to stone. Now, since they knew my secret, they brought me things in exchange. I didn't turn them into stone, and they brought me whatever I needed. A simple trade really.

They had taught me many new things, either by bringing me books or talking. It was hard to make sure I didn't look at them when they came to my house, but I was getting used to it. Jaime was an interesting person. They were something called nonbinary. Back before everything happened to me it had no name, and English is a difficult language. I wonder if the blind girl knew what that was.

I looked at her for a moment. She was perched on the edge of the bed facing me. Her eyes didn't look like eyes anymore. They looked like clouds of different shades and thicknesses. Sometimes stormy, sometimes wispy and whimsical.

"I found a dress for you to wear if you would like to change. You can also take a shower if you would like. You seem to be the same size as me." Her head snapped over to me as I began speaking. Just her eyes seemed to look nowhere, everywhere, and through me all at the same time. She bit her lip. I flinched at the movement.

She began nodding, "Yes that would be nice." I walked over to her as she stood up. She put her hand up hesitantly for me to hold onto. I took it lightly, making sure not to hold on too tight so she wasn't uncomfortable, and brought her to the bathroom down the hall.

It was a big bathroom although it was not the master. As soon as you opened the door two sinks and a large mirror greeted you. To the right was the shower, which was clear glass, then opposite of it was a porcelain tub that sat on golden claws. At the end was a small room for the toilet.

I placed the dress on the edge of the tub and informed her where it was. I then grabbed the girl a towel and opened the shower door. It rattled slightly. I reached in and opened the shampoo bottle. "I opened the shampoo so you could tell the difference between it and the conditioner." I stepped out of the way. Some emotion flashed across her face, but I couldn't tell what it was. She nodded, "Thank you."

I walked to the door. "I will be downstairs making dinner. I figure that you are hungry. Are you okay with spaghetti?" The girl nodded again. She stood with the towel in her hands as if she was a child with their favorite blanket. I walked the rest of the way out the door and closed it firmly behind me.

My feet began to take me to the stairs to begin making dinner, but I collapsed onto the floor. "O Theé mou." I put my head in my hands. A blind girl. What were the chances? After all these years, and of all people who showed up here, a person I can actually be around, talk to, and look at shows up. Thank the gods.

I had watched her walk up to my house and fall over a plant. I was surprised at first at how she didn't she it. I had been to focused on hoping she would go the other way. It was only until she was yelling out that she was blind that it clicked. Was she always blind? I was so focused on the questions running through my head that I didn't notice that she had cut herself until I heard her yell again. A cuss this time instead. Blood was running down her hand and just like that her fist went through a window.