Chapter 4

Warning: Suicidal thoughts and cutting. VERY DESCRIPTIVE.

When you see a * it is in the next few paragraphs. When you see the second * it is over.

Evelyn's POV

     The night wasn't very eventful. We just ate some takeout at the park and tagged a wall ontop of the hill that over looked the city. Well Brandon was more the one to tag it even I knew some of my old work was still there.

     I remember how beautiful it was there. The way the city lit up at night; now that's where you took your crush to impress them. Brandon and I both had. That's probably why Brandon was still with his girlfriend.

     Almost 3 years of love. Now, if only I could find someone like that.

     "You ready for the trip?" Brandon asked, slicing through my thoughts. I shrugged, "Not really. I can't see it. You go there to see it, not to stand there like I will."

     He didn't answer. We continued to walk. Just the sound of our foot steps and my cane running along the ground seemed to be awake, tonight. I couldn't even hear the rustling of the leaves in the trees.

     "We're here." He said after a few minutes of silence. I led my hand along the bricks of the house until the dead plants in the planter tickled my hand. Before going up, I turned around for a hug.

     His embrace was warm and comforting despite the slightly cool surroundings. He was always there for me. As we separated, I unconsciously rubbed the ring on my finger. I was alive because of him. It made me smile. At this moment, everything seemed good.

•••

     "Wake up, Eve!" My little brother shouted. My bed dipped every time he jumped. I groaned and turned over. The day had come too soon. That dreaded trip.

     "Come on Eve. Wake up!" Max said again. "I'm awake, I'm awake." I began groggily, sitting up, "Now stop jumping on my bed."

     I felt his weight lift off my bed and something thud against the ground. "I'm okay!" Max yelled, laughing and ran out of the room.

     Why was he so excited to sit in a car? I stood up, nearly falling from exhaustion even though I almost slept the full eight hours. My feet began to move down the stairs and into the kitchen. Max foot steps echoed as he ran around. At least he was getting his energy and excitement out now instead of in the car.

     "What time is it?" I asked to whoever was listening. "Five a.m." My mother replied. What an ungodly hour.

      "Your dad already got your suitcase so you can just go get dressed." My mother said. She sounded exhausted. Could I persuade them to not go?

     I decided it was no use and instead turned on my heel to go back to my room. Once I was back in my room, I threw on my old softball t-shirt and tucked it into some pants.

     Was it too gay? Nah, no such thing.

     A knock came to my door as I was slipping on some shoes. It opened and my dad began to say, "You ready to g-" He stopped and instead said, "You look interesting." There was a hint of something in his voice, but I couldn't tell what.

     "Is it backwards?" I ask feeling for the tags on both. "Is it tucked in wrong?" He doesn't answer. "Dad?" I ask again.

     "It's just very..." He doesn't finish. "Do you have everything?" He says instead. I bite my lip. Is it my hair? Does it not match? Is there something on it?

     He sighs, "Lesbian, it looks very lesbian."

     "Oh." I simply replied, slightly relieved but also kinda frustrated. My father didn't really accept the fact that I was gay. He thought that only a man and a woman should be together. His thoughts were kept to himself though thanks to my mom. He wanted to kick me out of the house a few years ago, but she refused. She said that if he kicked me out, she would kick him out. Sometimes I thought that he felt bad for it now, but I couldn't be sure.