Chapter 33

HARRY'S POV

I had excused myself ten minutes before our teacher would announce the winner of the contest. I had specifically asked what time our music teacher would announce the winner, so I knew when to leave for a wee.

I had thought it was for the best if I wasn't around Niall when the winner would be announced. Now that I was by myself, I started to regret my decision. I was just about to go and look for him, when I heard our teacher's voice. Shit, I cursed to myself.

I was standing right next to the stage where our teacher was and from my spot, I could easily see Niall, who was standing in the dance floor with Louis and Liam.

"This year's cutest couple is..." My heart started beating really fast. Our teacher was just about to announce the winner and I was afraid I would have a heart attack. I wanted me and Niall to win, hell, I needed us to win.

"Niall Horan and Harry Styles. Congratulations!" At first, I couldn't believe what I had just heard, and I zoned out for a minute. I came back to my senses when I heard people clapping and whistling loudly. I started to take some steps towards the stage and when I got up there, I realised Niall was still standing in his place.

Everyone was staring at Niall and some people actually looked shocked. I saw Liam pushing Niall gently and saying something, he was probably telling Niall that he should join me up in the stage. My heart skipped a beat when he finally started walking towards the stage, holding his head low and not facing anyone.

"You should give a speech," our teacher whispered to me right before Niall reached my side. I took the microphone, nervously looking around and trying to see people's reactions. To my surprise, most of the people were just looking at us with a smile on their faces and no one looked that disgusted.

"I ermm... Well this is awkward," I started and earned some laughs from the crowd. I smiled when Niall actually took my hand in his and gave me a reassuring smile.

"I just wanted to say thanks for voting us, even though none of you knew that we're together. Actually, Niall and I planned on coming out as a couple here in the dance and I signed us up for this contest. He basically had no idea I was doing this, so I guess I should say... Surprise, babe." My confidence started to grow and when Niall squeezed my hand gently, I turned to face him and started speaking directly to him.

"Niall, I'm the luckiest guy alive because I have you. Happy Valentine's day baby."

I couldn't help but to grin, feeling happy and relieved too. People were actually cheering now and someone awed loudly. I was just about to hand the microphone back to our teacher when Niall stole it from my hand.

"I just wanted to say that I really had nothing to do with this, so if someone's angry don't blame me," he chuckled and I heard some people laughing. Niall pushed my shoulder gently, hinting that we should get down from the stage.

"Harry, how did you..." Niall started talking but was interrupted when our teacher was talking again.

"Again, congratulations to Niall and Harry. I am actually very proud of every single one of you, this is the first time a gay couple has won the contest."

Me and Niall had just reached the dance floor but I stopped when I heard what our teacher told us. We were the first gay couple to win the cutest couple contest, and suddenly, I felt extremely proud.

"Did you hear that?" Niall asked with a gentle tone and took my both hands in his.

"I can't believe it," I shook my head.