2045: The Return

A/n: So I decided to write a sequel. It has twists and feels. So many feels. Hope you enjoy this!

———

It had been three years. Three years since the Watchdog civil war. Three years since Cornea's defeat.

Three years since the disbandment order against Haterʼs army on endangerment grounds.

The Galactic Council may have been able to shut down the Federation. However, the fighting spirit and friendship between itʼs members remained. Many Watchdogs stayed on the Skullship.

Their excuse was, "Itʼs my home. Iʼm not leaving it." The Council reluctantly agreed. It was obvious that they had intended to seize the 'propertyʼ as they now called it.

At the current point in time, the Watchdog population had risen. They were no longer banned from being an army in the Councilʼs eye. Ex-Lieutenant Nerve had jumped at the chance, and put in a formal request. He assured the Council that no Watchdogs would prove to be traitors. After what happened during the war, he would make sure of that. Astonishingly...

"Itʼs been approved Sir!"
"Excellent! I knew I could count on you, Nerve!"
"Thank you, Lord Hater! Now we can finally get back into the swing of things!"
"I know. But there is a slight problem..."
"Yes, Sir?"
"Who will lead the army now? Peepers is gone, Eyela moved to Suburbon 7, Iris and Retina are travelling and Cornea is in prison."
"Sir, I may be able to take the helm. I was Peepersʼ Lieutenant after all..."
"Yes. You were." After giving it some thought, Hater made up his mind. "Very well. You can take over."
Nerve nodded.
"But remember, Iʼm afraid youʼll have nobody to help you."
The new Commander gazed at the skeleton in shock, wondering what he meant. Then he remembered that the Lord was dying. Hater lay flat on his back in a sickbay bed, surrounded by machinery that kept him alive. Apparently Dominator, Haterʼs wife, had been taken by the same illness.
Their only child of 14 years, a daughter by the name of Elise, had been taken in by Wander and Sylvia. She was being raised for the last few years of her teens alongside the couplesʼ son Sylvester.
"I am nearing the end, Nerve. And I anxiously await the time at which I can join my wife and best friend once more..."
"Sir. You canʼt leave. Not now at least. Your daughter..."
"Is in the right hands. I am fully confident in their capability as parents. I am also fully confident in your capability as this Armyʼs new leader Nerve."
Nerve could feel his tears pushing against his eyelid, begging to show themselves. He swiftly denied their request. He nodded slowly, before standing from his post by the ailing Lordʼs side.

Making his way to the recently built memorial room, he gazed along the rows of tombstoneʼs. This room was to celebrate the lives of those lost in the war. One in particular caught his eye. He made his way toward it. It was Commander Peepersʼ memorial. The replica of the late officer stood in a fighting stance, blaster at the ready in his right hand. Nerve sighed. "Peepers, if I can even be half the leader you were, Iʼll be proud."
———
"Iris! You wonʼt believe the message I just got!" "Yeah? What is it? And for the love of Grop bro, stop shouting."
"Itʼs from Nerve! The Council approved the plans to reform the army!"
"Thatʼs amazing! And because Iʼm so happy, Iʼll ignore that you were shouting. Youʼre literally right in front of me for Gropʼs sake..."
Retina suddenly felt very guilty, "Sorry sis."
"Itʼs okay Retina. Just donʼt do it again." Her brother nodded. "So. The army is back in action. Thatʼs amazing news. Whoʼs gonna lead it? Hater?"
"Due to his disease being fatal, Lord Hater wonʼt be taking the lead this time. Nerve is taking over."
"Wow. I donʼt blame Hater for trusting Nerve with the army. He was Daddyʼs Lieutenant."
"Yeah. Dad didnʼt just choose any Watchdog to do that job. He had a habit of making the right choices in regards to the army."
"I miss him, Retina."
The male Watchdogʼs gaze darkened slightly, clouding with emotion. "I miss him too, sis."
———
Two years ago, she had moved to Surburbon 7. Her aim was to live a relatively normal life. Of course, her status as a widow had attracted much attention, especially as her husband had been Commander Peepers. She often visited her old home on the Skullship to escape from the public eye. And obviously, her friends and children visited her.

Sheʼd learnt about the armyʼs re-establishment from the Skullshipʼs Head of Security, Andy.
"Andy, thatʼs amazing news!"
"I know. But thereʼs something I think you ought to know."
Eyela was curious. "Oh? What is that?"
"Nerve is the Commander this time around. I hope thatʼs okay."
"Of course!" There was a genuine tone in her voice that told Andy she was perfectly happy. But it was slightly laced with sadness. "Andy..." He glanced at the female. "Whatʼs happening with Lord Hater? Is he okay?" Andy decided it would be best if he told her, "Hater is on the verge of death. We donʼt know how much longer he has left."
"I see."
"Eyela, I realise this is a lot to ask, but could you come back to the ship? Iʼm sure everyone would be glad to see you again."
"Of course. Iʼd be happy to return."
"Thank you."
———
They arrived to a cacophony of chaos and panic. It became obvious to Eyela that the sudden change in leadership had taken its toll on the staff.

She became shocked when she heard Jim yell her name. "Eyela!"
"Jim. How have you been?"
"Iʼm fine thanks. Itʼs been a nightmare!"
"How?"
"Hater is taking his last breaths as we speak..."
"What?! Take me to him!"
Jim was happy to oblige. "Yes, ma'am! Itʼs great to have you back."

They rushed into Haterʼs room. Apparently, the doctors had decided it was best for him to be comfortable during his last moments. By his side were his daughter, Wander, Sylvia, Sylvester and Nerve.

"Eyela. Iʼm glad to have seen you before my time..." The skeletonʼs voice had become raspy. He no longer had a booming voice that expressed authority. Captain Tim had curled up at his side, providing extra comfort. The arachnomorph whimpered slightly. Tim knew what was coming. Hater curled his arm around his pet using the last of his strength.
"Lord Hater. Itʼs good to see you again."
"Itʼs good to see you too." His voice was raspier than usual. "But, soon Iʼll see Dom and Peepers again. And thatʼs all that matters to me now." "Youʼre right Sir. You deserve your peace. Say hi to them for us all..."
"Iʼd never fail in that task."

Just then, Iris and Retina came running in.
"Iris! Retina!"
"Mum!" The siblings ran over to their mother and the three shared an embrace.
A doctor cut in. "Sorry to break up the reunion, but itʼs almost time."
"Go say goodbye to him. You wonʼt h%ve another chance."
"Okay Mum." Iris acted cool and collected, but her sibling recognised her panic that was underneath.

Hater spoke to each and every one of them. "Elise. Your mother would be happy to see you in the right hands. Wander, Sylvia, Iʼm glad I accepted your friendship. And Sylvester should be proud to be your son."
They barely caught the young boys reply, "I am."
"Nerve, serve the army well as Peepers did. I know you can do it. Eyela, Iris and Retina, rest well. And if you can, stay here." His voice became weaker. "Goodbye. Iʼll miss each and every one of you. I trust that you all will complete wonderful lives. I know I had that kind of life. Goodbye."

They all heard the monitor flatline...

A/n: Phew! I hope you enjoyed this!
Please read the previous story, The Hater Empire Archives if you can to understand this story fully.

As always, I donʼt own the show or its characters. Eyela, Iris, Retina, Jim, Nerve, Sylvester and Elise are all mine. Donʼt use them without my permission.