2052: The Homecoming

A/n: Warning! Long lost family members ahead.

———

Andy sighed. "It's good to be home."
Westley came up beside him. "I'll say."
The two were interrupted by Eyela, who had pushed past the mass of soldiers to see what all the fuss was about. "Come on you two. I know. We've all missed this planet. But we need to get started on the docking process. We wouldn't want to crash, would we?"
Sylvia joined the group that was forming. "It's not the crash that gets these people worried, Eyela." She paused, shuddering slightly. "It's the tidal rage of fury that follows should everyone survive."

The Zbornak, the whole army could agree, was correct about being fearful of the pent up fury housed within their Commander. Peepers was practically a timebomb of rage that could explode at the slightest agitation. Oh, how they all feared his temper.

The stress of being the only leader had quickly taken its toll, and now it was like Peepers was being eaten alive. He needed a vacation, and everyone knew it. They wouldn't tell him that, though.

Thankfully, this visit to their home planet of Vein would hopefully serve as just that.

Finishing her reminiscing of the planet and it's unfortunate destruction at the hands of Lord Dominator, Eyela was quick to bark orders. "Okay, let's get this ship safely docked. Then we can check out the planet. Okay?"

Everyone around her nodded, and all sped to their stations as the ship came into land. The engines gave a low whine as the Skullship touched the ground, spluttering slightly against the planets atmosphere. Eyela sighed. Either this ship needed an excessive amount of repairs, or they needed to invest in a new ship. It's condition seemed to deteriorate all the time.

Unfurling the familiar tongue was not as easy as it usually was. The mouth opened as usual, but the tongue's mechanisms creaked and groaned as said tongue met the ground.

When the metal finally stopped sounding like it would fall apart, the Commander entered the ship's loading bay. The entire army stood to attention, to which he said, "As you were."

They all turned back to their posts as Peepers made his way towards Eyela. "Looks like we need to sort out the ship." He explained as he made his way toward her. "It doesn't seem stable."
"I know." She looked slightly mournful. "It's had a good run, but all good things must come to an end."
"This ship is practically all we've known these past few years." He sighed. "Whatever we decide is going to be hard."

Eyela nodded regretfully. Maybe it was time to get a new ship, but that wasn't what their focus should be on. She recalled the conversation she and Peepers had with their children the other day.

———

"So, you guys excited to see all the sights Vein has to offer?"

Retina was practically bouncing in his seat. "Yeah! We've never been!"
"Hard to believe we've never seen it. This is our species' home planet for Grop's sake." Iris said thoughtfully.

Cornea, unlike his younger siblings, was quiet. Eyela was quick to notice this. "Cornea, are you okay?"
"Yeah. It's just," He took a deep breath. "When Dominator destroyed Vein, did you two ever wonder you would see the planet again?"
Peepers kneeled down to his son's eye level, as all the siblings were sitting down on their parents' bed. "Well, we did have concerns at first. But when the galaxy began to regrow, we didn't have any doubts. We knew we'd see it again." The father took a deep breath, "But that's not why you're worried."

Cornea was about to ask his father how he knew, but the question was being answered. "Cornea, I know you better than you realise. Me and your mother both do. We were the ones who raised you. Point is, you don't have to worry about your status as a 'war criminal'. The population all know the truth about what happened back then." The younger Watchdog smiled slightly at his father's explanation. What Peepers said next had everyone laughing. "And if anyone tries to persecute you, they'll get on a first name basis with my blaster."
"Thanks Dad."

———

About a quarter of the troops exited the ship whilst the remainder of the personnel, including Nerve, stayed on board.

The majority of the crew headed to explore the recently rebuilt capital city of Sclera, with strict instructions to be home by 10 that night.

By said curfew, the Watchdogs who had been in that group had collected souvenirs, visited their families and seen everything that had changed on the planet. Nothing much to speak of, but the changes weren't exactly subtle...

The Eyesore family was heading back to the ship when Retina bumped into a couple with a young Watchpup of about ten years. They looked... familiar somehow, but the three siblings couldn't place where they'd seen them before. It was their father's words that had them remembering.

"Ciliary? Is that you?"
"Peepers?" Said the female Watchdog. It was that confirmation of names that told the Eyesore siblings who these people were. Their Aunt Ciliary (their father's younger sister) and their Uncle John. After suppressing the urge to eyepalm, they listened into the conversation.

"So. How's life on the Skullship?"
"It's fine. Ships falling apart though. How're things going with you?"
"Could be better. We just found out that Mum and Dad are still stuck on their refugee planet. It's been years since the rebuild was completed, but not everyone has been rehoused."

At the look of concern Peepers gave her, Ciliary quickly added, "They're perfectly safe. Don't worry. They just can't get home. We have offered them to live with us, but they have no transport off the planet."

The commander looked deep in thought till he said, "I could pick them up and drop them back here."
John piped up. "You could? That would be great."
"It would mean me leaving the Skullship for a while though. Our parents said something about being beyond our galaxy. I can always find out the planet in the Veinian archives."

They said goodbye to each other with regret and went their separate ways. Eyela gave her husband a teasing look. "So... you're leaving again, are you?"
Peepers gave his wife an equally teasing pout. "It's not for long. I'll only be gone for a few weeks."
"I'll miss you. We all will."
"I'll miss you guys too. And as much as I trust you all to stay out of trouble, I can't help but feel Hemlock will cause said trouble..."