2053: The Trigger

A/n: And here we have, yet again, an example of a messed up update schedule. Hope you enjoy it anyway...

———

They say that silence is golden. But when you're against someone, silence from the opposite side is suspicious.

And considering Queen Rosemary's enemy was her twin sister, whom she knew inside and out, the suspicion was far greater than usual.

Rosemary, or just Rosa as she was known by her people, was a fair monarch, and an even fairer friend and colleague. Kind, but still harsh when needed, the Aconite Queen had proven to be the right choice to run the kingdom.

It was the faith that her citizens had in her that caused her to make judgement calls based on their needs. And right this moment, they needed to do something against Hemlock.

Said rebel had recently made a bold decision to attack one of Rosemary's military bases on the planet Ziziks.

The Queen knew there was no other option now, but to fight. This was war...

———

"Commander Peepers. Glad you could make it." The Queen began.
The Watchdog replied slowly. Rosemary knew he wasn't getting any younger, but he sounded so much older, even with his nasally voice still ringing clear. "I'm glad to be here. Nothing much has been happening on our front. How are things here?"
"Hemlock attacked one of our Ziziks bases the other day." She paused before continuing, "I've decided to officially declare war. This can't go on much longer."
The Commander nodded before making his statement. "I agree this can't continue, but are you sure war is a good idea?" Under his breath, he muttered, "I leave for a few months..."
This addition went unnoticed as Rosemary said her peace.
"I know it isn't the best option, but it's the only one we have. She won't listen to reason. She never did."

"I assure you that you will have the Hater Federation's full support. On two conditions..."
Rosemary was curious, "Yes, Commander?"
"You ensure that all innocent civilians are kept out of it. And that all combatants are not forced to fight." His demands were spoken with the authority that would tell anyone who he was, and how deserving he was of his role. He had the aura of a true leader. He always had...
The Queen smiled, and with a way of speaking that was equal to that of Peepers' authoritative tone, she replied, "But of course. You have my word." They sealed the agreement with a handshake...

———

The announcement had rung out across the entire planet. They were at war. And their opponents had been listening intently from afar.

"So. It's serious now."
"Yes, Hemlock."
"That's Madam Hemlock to you!" She yelled at one of her attendants, who made a scared and shaky salute.
"Yes, ma'am."
The woman in question snarled. "Be gone from my sight." The attendant did so. "So. They flinched first. But who will be the first to attack?" She chuckled evilly...