2055: The Holiday

A/n: I'm back.
———
"Sir, you really should take some time off." Began Nerve to his superior, concerned.
"No. I had enough time off when I was in hiding. I'll rest when I'm dead."
"You'll end up dead if you keep doing this."
"Keep doing what?" The Commander asked, scribbling furiously.
"Pulling all nighters." Nerve deadpanned. Peepers, however; in typical Peepers fashion, waved him away.
"I'll be fine. Someone has to keep this place running."
"Sir, I did fine when you were gone." Nerve reminded him. "For several years. Pretty sure I'll manage for a few days. Besides, we don't want you passing out like you did all those years ago, right?" Nerve recalled the events of the army's founding years, when Hater was still alive and the then known Hater Empire was nearing it's peak. Peepers had been pushing himself too hard back then. And he still was.

The Commander's thoughts drifted to the late skeletal Lord. He sighed in defeat, pushing back his chair and standing the best he could in his fatigue. Nerve was right. Hater certainly wouldn't approve if he could see his best friend now. "Okay Nerve, you win. But only if we keep this as quiet as possible. The last thing I want is for Hemlock to find out."
"Don't worry Sir. I'll make sure of it."
"Then I'll make the necessary arrangements for myself and the rest of the family. I never was one for travelling alone."

Little did they realise that the fly on the wall had been listening to the whole thing.

Hemlock sat back in her seat, amused. "So, Peepers and his little family are going away." She paused. "Well I intend to make it a break they will never forget." She cackled, the light fading before the room was engulfed in darkness.

"Darn. I need to get those fixed." She said, looking up at the offending light sources.

———

"Dad."
"Yes?" Answered Peepers, who was piling an assortment of clothing into a large suitcase. "You can just tell me you know. You don't have to worry."
"I was wondering if Andy could come with us?"
"I don't see why not." He said, pushing down the lid of the suitcase. "He's more or less part of the family now."
"Thanks Dad." Iris said, before turning around to leave. Her fathers voice stopped her from walking out the door.
"Uhmmm, Iris?" She spun to see him struggling to do up the zip. She sighed.
"Okay, open it up."

He did so. Iris barely resisted the urge to eyepalm. "Dad, I know this'll be on the hold and all, but you don't need three blasters."
"I'm an army officer, what did you expect?"
"I'm an officer too, Dad. You don't see me stockpiling weapons."

Peepers opened his mouth to argue, but then realised she was right. "Okay, you have a point. I'll just take my handgun."
"I doubt you'll need it, but okay."

The suitcase closed easily after that. Iris left the room, happy that her father had listened to her. She went to her own room on the ship and went to bed. The night was filled with pleasant dreams.

———

"Promise me you'll let me know if there are any problems."

Nerve rolled his eye before replying. "I promise. It'll be fine Peepers."
Just as it looked like the Commander might change his mind, Nerve started pushing him out of the door. "Just spend time with your family and enjoy your holiday."

Nerve ignored the squeak of protest as he pushed his commanding officer into the waiting taxi, slamming the door shut. The Lieutenant looked up at Eyela, who shook her head at her husbands' antics. Eyela made eye contact with the acting officer before waving goodbye at him and stepping into the vehicle with her family and Andy.

The taxi sped off, the inhabitants of the Skullship waving at the retreating it before returning to their scheduled routine. Nerve continued to smile until the taxi had completely disappeared from view, sighing heavily when it did. He better get started with the mountain of paperwork so he could finish it before the Commander returned.