2048: The Search

A/n: Hemlock's origins revealed in this chapter

———

It had been a long and hard road to this point. The army had recently been told that their previous commander, Peepers, was still alive. Many questions so far, had been asked and answered. All but one. Where was he now?

Peepers had left his daughter a storage disk, which contained a maze of both empty and real files. After some digging, Iris finally managed to find the right file.

Her shout of, "Mum! I found it!" echoed throughout the ship. The watchdog in question ran toward the computer room, anxious to find the next piece of the puzzle.

When she arrived, Iris was shifting in excitement. Rightly so. Until recently, everyone thought that Commander Peepers was dead.

"Mum, I found out which planet Dad is on."
"That's great!"
"Unfortunately, it's in another galaxy. It'll take about 6 months to get there."
"I'll tell Nerve. We can set a course now." The mother looked thoughtful. "Did you find out anything about Hemlock?"
"Only her background. Nothing about current activity."
"Let's hear it then."

"Princess Hemlock Nightshade is the elder twin sister of Queen Rosemary Nightshade of the Aconites."
"Elder? Then wouldn't she be the Queen?"
"That's why she became evil. The council of their planet thought her unfit to rule, so Rosemary got the crown instead. Hemlock eventually got so jealous that she started a civil war, rallying her followers." Iris hesitated before continuing. "Here's where Dad fits into all this. The Watchdog Army was briefly involved in the conflict during this civil war due to our relationship with them. They're currently protecting the remains of Vein. Remember when Dad left for a few months during the allegiance shift?" When her mother nodded, Iris continued. "That was to take the necessary troops into battle. When the war was won by the Queen's forces, Dad was part of the jury that sentenced Hemlock to exile from their system."
"I had no idea."
"There's more. Dad's vote was the one that decided her fate."

Eyela winced, the pieces falling into place. Hemlock was after revenge...

———

The daily rally...

"Well. What a story. Thanks for letting us know." They both saluted. Nerve continued. "We'll set a course for that planet straight away."

Nerve addressed the audience. "Watchdogs. We have located Peepers. We hope to get there in the next few months." They gave a cheer. The current leader held up his hand for silence. "However, we may run into Hemlock on the way. This is what she looks like." He put up a picture of her. She was plant shaped, more like a fern than anything. Four green pinnas sat either side of her frond shaped head, her species version of hair. She had a heart shaped face that held a harsh pair of eyes and mouth. She wore a purple robe with a gold hem. Her devilish smile sent shivers down everyone's spines.
"Be on the lookout for her or her twin sister Rosemary."

He put up a picture of the current Aconite Queen. She was identical to her sister, but her eyes and smile held the gentleness of a worthy ruler.

"Despite their status as twins, I'm sure you'll be able to tell them apart. Dismissed."

As the Watchdogs exited, the Skullship turned toward its next destination, 6 months away...

———

A/n: Commander Peepers and the show are owned by Disney.

Eyela, Nerve, Iris, Cornea, Retina, Rosemary, Hemlock and the Aconite race belong to me.