Act I Scene VII

Charlie Greyson

Trigger warning: mentions of suicide

"Charlie?" Embry rolls over in her sleep. Stiles sits up a bit straighter, she is laying in her bed. He is sitting in her desk chair, "Charlie? Charles, please?" Sobs fall from her mouth.

"Embry," Stiles shakes the girl, but to no avail, "Embry!" The green eyed girl shoots up, her hands held to her chest. Tear streaming from her eyes. Stiles wraps his arms around her, Embry's hands cling to Stiles shirt.

"He's gone," Embry cries, "He's gone..."

"Shhh, It's okay. I'm here now. It's okay. It's okay," Stiles whispers into her hair. Holding her tighter.

"He's gone, Stiles. He's gone," Embry's voice turns to a whisper.

"Who, Em? Who's gone?"

"The reason I moved here. Charlie," Embry's eyes meet Stiles.

"What?"

™™™™™™™

"Charlie Greyson. He was my boyfriend for about a year and a half. He, um, he," Tears gather in Embry's eyes, the words choking her.

"Hey, take your time. It's okay," Stiles wraps an arm around her shoulder. Embry leans against him.

"He, um, he killed himself, almost 4 months ago," Embry closes her eyes, trying to calm down.

"Embry I-"

"Don't," The girl holds up a hand, stopping Stiles, "I don't want your sympathy. I'm so sick and fucking tired of sympathy." Embry begins twisting the ring on her finger.

"I was going to say, It's not your fault," Stiles sighs and lays his head on top of hers.

Embry scoffs, "It's not?" A sad laugh falls from her mouth, "I'm the one that started the stupid fight. I'm the one that told him to leave, I'm the one that said I wished he was gone." Embry buries her face in Stiles shirt, suppressing her cries.

"What were you fighting about?" Stiles stiffens while Embry's heart picks up speed.

"He got a football scholarship. Full ride. Even though he was a junior. The only problem was it was to Oklahoma University. I beg him not to go. He would be so far away and we'd never see each other. It was a once and a lifetime opportunity. He said I was holding him back, I screamed at him to leave. I knew. I knew he had depression, I knew it could trigger him. I said it anyway. It was my fault," Embry sits up and stares at the floor. This is the first time talking about it since it happened.

Ya know how people say talking about it kinda lifts weight off your shoulders. Whoever said it fucking lied. Embry's shoulders feel heavier, her chest feels tight, and she wants to
scream.

Embry looks up at Stiles. His face is stone as he stares at the floor,

"Stiles?"

"Hmm," He doesn't look at her.

"Say something. Please," Embry's breath comes in short gasps.

"I'm sorry," Stiles finally looks at her. Something different in his eyes. Not quite sympathy, something more.

"It's not your fault," Embry rests her head on his shoulder once more.

Outside her hospital window, a creature lurks. Anger building up it's insides. It lets out a low growl and take off.

™™™™™™™

"Embry?" Scott call out as she walks in the door.

"Yeah it's me. Mom dropped me off," Embry yells back, walking up the stairs.