Act II Scene XIV

An Act Of Stupidity

The young wolf's hands shake as she hesitates outside the animal clinic. She is scared that they might be mad at her. Scared they might have given up on her. Embry takes a deep breath, and pulls the door open.

Everyone's heart skips a beat. You could hear a pin drop.

With her head facing the floor, Embry slowly walks to the back room.

"Miss McCall," Deaton tries to ease the tension, "Just the girl I was looking for."

"Embry," Scott smiles and wraps her in a hug. Embry lets out the breath she was holding and melts into his arms. She always liked his hugs. He is so much bigger than her, that it's like she draped in a giant blanket.

Scott lets go and pulls back, "Um," Embry presses her lips together, trying to find the right words, "I know you guys deserve an explanation, and... and I'm sorry. I'm just trying to keep you safe," Tears build in her eyes, but she refuses to let them fall, "I've lost one person in my life. I can't lose any of you."

"Hey," Allison wraps an arm around the small girls shoulders, "We understand. It's okay."

"Okay," Embry sniffs and nods, "Whats the plan?"

"Scott, Allison, and Stiles need to be surrogate sacrifices for your parents," Deaton explains.

"They need to die for them?" Panic rises in Embry's chest. This is the opposite of what she wants.

"But," Stiles speaks for the first time, "he can bring us back," Deaton hesitates, "You can bring us back, right?"

"You remember the part where I said it was dangerous? If it goes right, the three of you will be dead for a few seconds, but there's something else you need to think about," Deaton waits a few seconds before continuing, "This is a dangerous thing for more reasons than one. You'll be giving power back to the Nemeton, a place that hasn't had power for a long time. This kind of power is like a magnet.

It attracts the supernatural, the kind of things that a family like the Argents can fill the pages of a bestiary with. It will draw them here, like a beacon."

"Doesn't sound like anything we haven't handled before," Stiles shrugs.

"You'd be amazed by the things you have yet to see," Deaton raises an eyebrow and his lips form into a tight line.

"Is that it?"

"No, It'll also have an effect on the three of you. You won't be able to see it, but you'll feel it every day for the rest of your lives. It'll be a kind of a darkness around your heart, and permanent, like a scar," Embry starts pacing.

"Like a tattoo," Scott has a tiny smile on his face.

The three tubs are filled. Everything is set and ready. Embry is on the verge of a panic attack.

"All right," Deaton smile reassuringly at the teens, "What did you bring?"

"Um," Stiles step forwards, pulling a piece of metal out of his pocket, "I got my dad's badge. Jennifer kind of crushed it in her hand, so I tried hammering it out a bit. Still doesn't look great."

"Well, it doesn't need to look good if it has meaning," Deaton's lips etch upward.

"Is that an actual silver bullet?" Isaac smiles a bit.

"My dad made it. It's kind of a ceremonial thing," Allison explain, "When one of us finishes learning all the skills to be a hunter, we forge a silver bullet as a testament to the code."