chapter two

『 🍃 』

『 🍃 』

Osaka, Japan
March 2017

Friday morning, Miya, Mom and I went wedding dress hunting. Although there were still two months left until the big day, my sister wanted to get everything done by the end of April. After visiting four different shops, we decided to grab some food.

Mom picked a Korean restaurant; reminding Miya that she should get used to their food. Her statement made me frown.

"Are you moving to South Korea?" I asked, brows furrowed

Miya shook her head. "Of course not, I can't even speak Korean!"

I sighed in relief. I didn't want her to go. Miya and Ken were my closest friends. It may sound cliché but my siblings were probably the most understanding people ever. I had a few comrades from college; even a best friend, but no relationship could compare to the one I shared with my brother and my sister.

The sudden appearance of a waiter snapped me out of my thoughts. He politely smiled at the three of us before taking our orders.

"I'll have a plate of bulggogi, some kimchi, spicy squid, a bowl of white rice and a set of kimbap please."

I could feel my mother's gaze judging me with the highest amount disgust, too high for a mother to feel towards her own daughter. As soon as the waiter left, her displeasing voice echoed through my ears.

"Are you eating for the three of us?" she spat, clearly unbothered by my feelings "You should stop, eating that much will get you nowhere but straight to the hospital."  

Before I could say anything–which I would not because arguing with her was pointless–Miya spoke up.

"Mom, leave her alone. I almost ordered the same thing, we're starving."

Mom took a deep breath. "I'm not trying to hurt you honey, I'm saying that for your own good."

Again, Miya answered for me.

"There are nicer ways to say it."

I looked at my mother and caught a glimpse of disappointment in her eyes. It hurt to know she acted this way because of a stupid weight!

"Anyway, when are you starting school?" Miya changed the subject; I thanked her with a nod

"In two weeks." I sighed "I'm kind of excited. Feels boring to stay at home all day."

"What about your friends ? You never try to call them."

"I don't feel like bothering them." I honestly replied

Mom cocked an eyebrow. "Aren't friends supposed to hang out?"

I bit my lip, unwilling to talk about this. Especially not with her.