02.

Steve was waiting by Billy's car when he came out from last period. "Look, Hargrove. I'll tell you, just to help Max. But you won't fucking believe me."

"Try it, princess." Billy was smirking. That pissed him off, and so did the nickname. Everything about Billy pissed him off. His stupid hair, his open shirts, his pretty eyes, his car. He was infuriating. "Get in the car."

As Billy drove, the floodgates in Steve's mind opened, and he talked. More than he had in weeks. As much as he hated Billy, he was a good listener. He looked him in the eyes, lit up a cig, and offered Steve a drag when his voice started to get strained.

When Steve finished, Billy sat back. "Goddamn. I'm sorry you all had to go through that."

"You believe me?"

"I told you this town is fucked up. I've been digging, looking into the Byers' kid- his older brother's a fucking creep, huh?- and what's her name, Barb. The one no one looked for. I've seen that other kid with my sister, Jane? I knew she'd have something to do with it. Yeah, Harrington. I believe you." And with that, Steve started to cry.

"Fuck, Princess. It's okay, yeah? You're safe now." He turned on the radio, and they listened in silence, Billy tapping along to the drums.

The funny thing was, he felt safe. For the first time since everything went down, he didn't feel a monster's presence. Who knew the only person he'd feel safe with was Billy fucking Hargrove?

_-_-_-_-_-_-_

And after that, Billy and Steve were friends. There was something about seeing Steve cry like that that made Billy hang around, and there was something about how Billy made Steve feel that made him stay.

"Ah, shit," Steve slammed his hand on the dashboard. "Billy, I have to pick up Dustin and Lucas. You should come. Apologize."

"Apologize? Harrington, those kids will hate me." The scared look was back, but Steve didn't want to punch him anymore. He wanted to give him a hug. He settled for a hand on Billy's arm.

"Come on. They're pretty forgiving. I was a real dick last year. Now I'm their babysitter."

"Steve, I was shitfaced. And most nights. I barely even remember it."

He frowned. "Why haven't you been lately?"

"Don't really see the appeal anymore, princess."

Billy lit a cigarette, and Steve decided not to think about what he meant when he said that.

And so Billy went, and he apologized, and the kids were very forgiving. It was then that Billy decided he trusted Harrington, for better or for worse.