08.

Things were going so well, between them. Steve was sleeping for the first time since That Night and Billy's guilt about That Night had finally eased up enough that he could look Steve in the eyes. So, Steve decided that it was time for Billy to spend some quality time with his kids. He already knew the whole story, so they didn't have to walk on eggshells around him. Billy had already apologized, especially to Lucas, so that was all good. He just wanted his friends and his boyfriend to be close.

"Billy, sweetheart, apple of my eye..."

Billy laughed. "I don't want to spend a Saturday with a bunch of eighth graders! Can you blame me?"

"C'mon! I love those kids."

"Fine."

☆☆☆☆☆

A week later, the whole gang was at the Byers' place for dinner. As soon as Billy walked in the door, Eleven walked up to him and gave him a very dirty look. Billy started to nervous sweat, until El reached up, stood on her tiptoes, and touched the fading bruise on his neck.

"Me, too. My Papa was a bad man." She smiled.

"Where is he now?" Billy was completely taken aback. He knew she had powers, Steve had told him all about them, but it was fucking weird seeing them work against him.

"Gone away. Hop is my new Papa. He's a good man. Your Papa is bad, too?"

"Yes."

She narrowed her eyes again. "Steve is good."

"I know he's good. I won't hurt him." Billy scratched his arm.

"Good. He's your Mike."

His eyes widened. "Woah, what? Stay out of my brain. Me and Steve aren't... like that. He's not my anything."

"Are we friends?" She asked, crossing her arms.

This is so fuckin' surreal. "Yeah, I mean, I guess."

"Friends don't lie." With that, she walked away, over to where Mike and Will were sitting togther.

Billy immediately walked over to Steve, who was talking to Dustin. "Come here, Princess. We need to talk."

"Hey, man! We were talking here!" Dustin said, frowning.

"Sorry, kid. This is important. That girl with the curls was all up in my head. Lookin' at shit."

Dustin looked at Steve. "You told him?"

"Yeah. I thought he should know, 'cause of Max. We can trust him." Steve smiled at Billy.

"Oh, okay," Dustin said. "I'll talk to her about it. We all say to her, 'El, you can't go in stranger's thoughts, it's rude.' But does she listen? Of course not." He threw up his arms and walked away.

Billy dragged Steve into the bathroom. "Kid knows about us. Eleven? She told me you're my Mike."

Steve just laughed. "These people, they won't care. They certainly won't tell anyone. We're all quite good at keeping secrets."

"Yeah, I guess." Billy still looked worried.

"Come on, babe. Let's join the party."

☆☆☆☆☆

After a movie (Revenge of the Nerds) and a board game (Monopoly), it was time for dinner. They were having KFC. Steve remembered the night talking to Barb's parents. It ached. He was the one to make her shotgun that beer can. If he had just been nicer, she would still be alive. It's your fault she's dead. Your faultfaultfault. He felt himself get light-headed, but Billy's hand on his under the table brought him back down to earth. He squeezed it gratefully.