20.

scenes from the courtroom //

☆☆☆☆☆

"What's your full name?"

"Maxine Mayfield."

"And what is your relation to Mr. Hargrove?"

"He's my mother's husband."

"Your stepfather?"

"I guess."

"Tell me, in your own words, the event leading up to the 911 call, and Mr. Hargrove's arrest."

"Well, my mom was gonna get a divorce from Neil - Mr. Hargrove. She was gonna take me and Billy and move into an apartment across town."

"Why was Mrs. Hargrove seeking a divorce?"

"Neil was hitting her. And Billy. Anyway, Neil found the money she was keeping, saving up to move away. She lied about it, but he didn't believe her, and he punched her in the face. She fell over, and he kept kicking her and punching her and..."

"Take your time, Maxine."

"No, I'm fine. He was beating her up, and she was bleeding. She stopped moving, so I called 911. He kept going though. He was saying that he was gonna kill her. The police had to rip him off."

"Had he hit your mother before?"

"Yes."

"Had you seen it?"

"No, but I heard it. And I'd seen him hit Billy. All the time. So it's not much of a suprise."

"So this was the first time you saw your stepfather hit your mother?"

"Yeah, but like I said. I would hear yelling, and then bangs. And I saw him hit Billy."

"Billy is your stepbrother?"

"Yes."

"And your stepfather hit Billy often?"

"Yes."

"Was there any reason?"

"Does it matter?"

"Please answer the question, Maxine."

"He would look for reasons. If Billy didn't do the dishes right, or stayed out late, or - well, he assumed things. About Billy. And that got him mad."

"What things did Mr. Hargrove assume about Billy?"

"I don't know if I should say."

"Maxine, this is an important detail."

"It's Max. And fine. Neil thought Billy was gay. And that made him mad, so he hit him. I think it all started with that."

"Is your stepbrother a homosexual?"

"I don't know. It doesn't matter. I'm telling you a guy got beat on by his dad and you're asking if he's gay like that would be a reason? Man, screw you."

"That will be enough, Maxine."

☆☆☆☆☆

"What is your full name?"

"Susan Hargrove."

"And what is your relation to Mr. Hargrove?"

"I'm his wife."

"Can you tell me what happened the night of the 911 call?"

"Yes. I was in the living room, watching the news. Neil was in the bedroom, Max was in her room, and Billy was at a friend's house. Neil came out of the bedroom and into the living room. He started yelling. He told me he knew I was leaving him and that he wouldn't let me."