09.

After the debacle at the Byers', Dustin had, thank god, warmed up to Billy. It took a week or so of Dustin glaring at Steve and muttering about betrayal and stupidity under his breath every time they hung out, but after Billy had a one-on-one chat with Dustin about how yes, he did beat the shit out of Steve, but he felt terrible, and apologized, and nearly cried because Steve will drop my ass if his son doesn't like me and then they talked about D&D and all was forgiven.

"Y'know, Steve, Billy's, like, not that bad." Dustin said, crunching loudly on a handful of potato chips. "He's kinda cool."

Steve gaped at him. "I'm aware. We're dating. I wouldn't be with him if he was that bad."

"Oh, right. But he definitely knows about D&D. I quizzed him."

Steve groaned. "You quizzed him? You quizzed my boyfriend?"

"Well, yeah. He said he he knew about D&D. I had to make sure he wasn't lying. But anyway, he's nice. He really likes you. He was all scared. He told me I had to like him because you would dump him if I didn't, 'cause I'm your favorite."

Steve smiled, secretly happy that Billy was so worried. "He said that?"

"Yeah. He looked like he was gonna cry. He's a totally different dude than That Night."

"I know. He's so much better."

☆☆☆☆☆

They were in Steve's room, Billy bugging him to go to a party with him the next night.

"C'mon, babe. It'll be fun." He pushed Steve's shoulder a little.

"It will not." Steve rolled his eyes. "Ever since I gave up the crown people don't like me very much."

"Bring Chloe. So we can all hang out."

"I thought you hated Chloe? When did that change?" He raised an eyebrow.

"When she called me right after we started dating and threatened to stomp on my dick with her highest pair of heels if I hurt you." Billy smiled fondly, remembering. "I believed her, too. She's tougher than she looks."

Steve choked on his laughter. "Oh, my god."

"Will you come?''

"I'm not doing a keg stand."

"Of course not, sweetheart. Wouldn't want you to embarrass yourself."

☆☆☆☆☆

Steve said he'd drive with Chloe, and meet Billy at the party in an hour. Clo was rummaging through his closet. "Come the fuck on, Stevie. You gotta have something a bit less preppy in here." She spun around, curly hair bouncing. "Do you only own baby blue polos?"

"You sound like Billy."

She threw one of Billy's metallica t-shirts at him and smiled. "How's that going, by the way? We haven't been able to talk as much recently."

Steve frowned, looking concerned. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be, Stevie. You're in the honeymoon phase. It's fine." She smiled kindly, squeezing his shoulder. "Now, go change. We'll head out afterwards."

☆☆☆☆☆

The party was going strong by the time Steve and Chloe got there. The whole house seemed to vibrate along with the music, and everyone and their mother was there. Steve very nearly left, but Chloe's firm hand on his shoulder kept him from turning around. "Come on, Steve. Let's find Billy." She walked a few feet ahead of him, grabbing them both beers in the living room. They went into the second living room. Steve felt Clo roll her eyes.