02

02 | the weight of reality

Kaylie's bed was beside the window, and she lay there, her head turned toward the view outside

Kaylie's bed was beside the window, and she lay there, her head turned toward the view outside. Her petite head was wrapped up with bandage, along with a few small dressings on her arms.

Kevin leaned against the door frame of her room, his eyes fixated on her. She looked so serene at that moment, and he almost didn't want to disturb her.

Sure he wanted to run up to her, shower her with kisses and wrap his arms tightly around her. But the doctor said to give her some space. Some time. Though the memory loss may be permanent, there was always the slim chance she could regain it anytime.

"Just try not to force things on to her. Don't stress her out." Durant's words rang in his ears.

"Will she remember me?" Kevin thought, letting out a heavy yet silent sigh.

Marco had left a while ago, after Kevin had insistent coaxing. He looked extremely tired after all. So he stood there alone, watching her as she gazed out the window. The thoughts that clouded his head was giving him a migraine, and seeing her like that only made it worse.

He was about to leave for another cup of coffee when her voice made him freeze.

"Hey there," she sounded feeble, weak. Slowly, Kevin turned to face her. He was greeted with a small smile etched on her lips. "Do we-do we know each other?" she picked her words carefully, and Kevin couldn't help the smile that spread across his own lips.

Even being battered down on a hospital bed can't stop her from keeping in mind the feelings of others. One of many reasons why I love her.

Looking up however, Kaylie was still staring at him, waiting for an answer. So he approached her, keeping a small smile on his face as he took the seat beside her bed. "I, uh," he didn't know how to phrase it.

Ultimately, it was the blunt truth that came out. "I'm Kevin, your boyfriend, Kaylie," he spoke. Her eyes widened slightly at that, and a look passed over her face. Disbelief? Surprise? Confusion? He couldn't decide.

She didn't reply, instead only nodded slowly. Kevin could almost feel the ache in his heart. She doesn't remember me. He had never in a million years thought this would ever happen. But he had to be strong. For her sake.

"But don't worry about that, alright?" He said, giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze. "Your family will be here tomorrow," he told her, mustering the most genuine smile he could.

Her eyes lit up, eagerness replacing her previous expression. The nod this time was an excited one, and her smile big and bright. All the sadness in his heart almost dissipated at the sight. "Thank you," she looked up at him.

"Of course," was all he could manage, as the melancholy returned once again.

--

Julian Draxler's eyes scanned the training ground, trying to find the familiar form of his fellow German counterpart. But he could not spot Kevin from the group of men streaming onto the field.

"Bonjour!" The voice came with a light slap to the back of his head. Giovani Lo Celso flashed him a cheeky grin as he came up to his side. Julian greeted the Argentinian with a raise of an eyebrow. "Look at you being all French," he quipped.

"I try alright," Giovani shrugged, before releasing a hearty laughter. The laughter rubbed off on Julian and they continued ambling over to the training area. "Have you seen Kevin by any chance?" Julian asked, hoping to locate the man.

But Giovani only shook his head. "Not since yesterday, actually."

"Maybe he's late," Julian thought to himself. Since his arrival in Paris merely two weeks ago, Kevin had always looked out for him, knowing how a complete change of environment was never easy getting used to. Surely he was just late.

Although, that man had never been late.

Julian's train of thought was cut short when Giovani nudged him. He gestured his chin toward where the coach was standing, beside Marco. "Looks like a serious matter," Giovani pointed out. Julian couldn't disagree.

Whatever they were discussing, it didn't seem too pleasant. Maybe he would ask Marco about it. But he probably wouldn't. It wasn't his business, after all. Little did he know how very wrong he was about that.

--