08

08 | will we get better

"Would it be okay if I drive to my apartment first?" Kevin glanced at Kaylie, who sat beside him fidgeting with the radio knob

"Would it be okay if I drive to my apartment first?" Kevin glanced at Kaylie, who sat beside him fidgeting with the radio knob. "Of course!" She looked at him. He nodded with his eyes fixated on the road.

She gazed at him, propping her head on her hand. Kevin noticed, of course, and stole fleeting looks her way. "What?" He laughed. "Nothing," she smiled feebly, "you just look really tired."

Kevin instinctively ran a hand through his hair. Kaylie always noticed the little things; even now. It was just her nature. "Just a little," he replied coolly. Kaylie's eyebrows knitted together, "you should get some rest back at your place."

Of course, he immediately disagreed. "Kaylie, I need to make sure you're okay," he said. "I'll be fine, Kevin," she placed a reassuring hand on his lap, "besides you'll see me again tomorrow."

The car halted to a stop upon reaching the carpark of Kevin's apartment building. Kevin turned to her. He didn't have to speak for Kaylie to know what he was trying to convey. Having seen Kevin every day since the accident, she could read him pretty easily.

You've practically known him since you were born, what are you talking about?

"Anyway, you need the rest," she said before smiling cheekily, "you haven't been looking that sharp in training." The two of them burst into laughter, lifting the atmosphere with it. "I moved so fast today I almost hit the crossbar you know?" Kevin quipped, earning a giggle from Kaylie.

They sat like that for a moment, letting the laughter die down.

"You used to tell me I should stop being so aggressive so I can avoid getting hurt all the time," he chuckled, almost to himself. "But of course, I couldn't do that," he continued, "and you knew that."

She was still watching him, holding his gaze. "The funny thing is, this whole football thing was all thanks to you," images from their past replayed in his head. Kaylie raised an eyebrow, "how?"

"It was always you who pushed me to chase my dreams," he told her, "and frankly I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you." Kaylie responded with a small smile. She had no recollection. No memory of it at all. Nothing.

Yet somehow his words seemed so sincere, so genuine. If she was an outsider, she'd be thinking that this man really loved his partner. And maybe it was then that Kaylie really wished she could remember again.

"Stay with me tonight, Kaylie," he suddenly turned to her. "Kevin-" but Kevin didn't let her continue. "I just don't want anything to happen to you. Please," when he looked at her she could see the pleading look in his eyes, "just a few more days."

Kaylie hesitated. She had really wanted some time alone, but she also wanted Kevin to rest and not worry about her. So eventually, she nodded, "okay."

--

It was a small apartment, much like hers. The thing that struck her was how she felt when she stepped inside. It was a feeling of massive familiarity that washed over her immediately. She studied her surroundings, trying her best to remember.

Kevin, who had been walking behind her, merely watched in silence. Kaylie turned around, meeting his eyes instantly. "I've been here before." He couldn't tell if it was a question or statement.

"Many times," was Kevin's answer.

"Right," she nodded with a chuckle, "of course."

"Listen, Kevin, um..." Kaylie started fidgeting with her fingers. She wanted to talk. About them. About how she wasn't remembering anything. About how she was feeling. But she hadn't a clue where to begin.

She was just so confused at that point. Why wasn't her memory returning? Why couldn't she remember a single thing? Why wasn't she remembering Kevin?

And the fact that she was falling in love with someone else. Was that wrong?

"Kaylie," Kevin touched her gently on the shoulders. He stood so close to her, his lips longing to meet hers. Back then whenever Kaylie was upset, a simple kiss would have solved everything. But things were different now.

"Kaylie," he repeated as he leaned closer to her. Kaylie didn't flinch when he touched her face, just as tears began streaming down her face. "I want to remember," she choked on her words, feeling the lump in her throat rising, "why can't I, Kevin?"

Frankly Kevin didn't know how to respond. Everything he had been doing was in hopes she would remember again. But everything had been in vain. Everything.

Kevin felt helpless as he watched the tears roll down her cheek. And all he could do was pull her in for a hug. Holding her in his arms was the only thing he could do to stop the tears that begged to run from his eyes.

From his own broken heart.

--
*hides behind a bush and whispers I'M SORRY YOU GUYS*