15

15 | truth be told

It had taken Kevin a lot of persuading before Kaylie finally agreed to go for the dinner

It had taken Kevin a lot of persuading before Kaylie finally agreed to go for the dinner. As they stepped into his car, she instantly regretted it. She could have said she was feeling unwell or really tired, but she didn't.

For the most part, she just wanted to give in to Kevin. Though Marco had insisted she shouldn't ever feel bad about how she felt, Kaylie still felt like she owed something to Kevin. It was after all Kevin who had cared for her and been with her for the past month after her accident.

"They have the best pizza in town," Kevin chuckled beside Kaylie, snapping her back to reality. "Gio recommended it," he glanced at her. She smiled feebly, "sounds nice." She was definitely not going to be a party pooper and spoil everyone's night today.

So she decided she'd just bear with it, praying that whatever expression was on her face, it would be sufficient to last the night. Maybe she'd just not make any eye contact with Julian. Or maybe she'd sit at the other side of the table, away from Julian.

The best way was to probably just avoid him all together that night, if even possible.

But when they finally arrived, it all went down the gutter. She wasn't sure if she had brought it onto herself that night, or it was just horrid luck, but she somehow found herself seated right in front of Julian.

After all the formalities, she noticed Marco and Giovani exchanging glances, and she could literally see the tension in their eyes. Not to each other, of course. She figured they must have spoken about it.

Surely Julian had told someone. And she had the gut feeling that someone was Giovani. So she wouldn't be surprised if the only oblivious person that night would be Kevin, unfortunately. A small sigh escaped her lips.

It was going to be a long night.

---

Giovani spoke with his mouth half full, "I've been to Gelsenkirchen."

"You're bluffing," Julian stared at Giovani, wide eyed and curious. A smile lit up his face as he spoke and Kaylie had almost forgotten how much she adored that smile. She still did.

Giovani nodded furiously as Kaylie watched on. She hadn't spoken much all night. But she was grateful that nobody on that table was coaxing her into any conversation. That is, until Kevin spoke.

"Speaking of Gelsenkirchen," the pizza in Kevin's hand was set back onto his plate, "Kaylie actually went to Gelsenkirchen for University." Kaylie turned to him, surprised, "I did?"

Kevin nodded, "it slipped my mind somehow."

For the first time that night Julian glanced at the girl. And coincidentally, her gaze was on him at that exact moment. But as quickly as it happened, they looked away, unable to look the other in the eye.

"Oh," Julian uttered, his lips curled into the tiniest of smiles. Kaylie could tell he too was trying to play it cool. Kevin on the contrary was enjoying the moment. "I still remember how Kaylie used to - oh hey!"

The presence of tomato sauce on her cheek didn't even register until Kevin mentioned it. He picked up a napkin and began reaching for the stain. It was only then that Kaylie reacted, a sheepish smile presenting itself on her lips.

"Ah, I got it," she tried to back away. Kaylie quickly took the napkin from his hand, to which he thankfully gave easily. The napkin cleared the stains comfortably in one swift motion. As it was a natural instinct for one to wonder, she asked him, "is it okay now?"

Kevin's eyes lingered on her, for a little longer than he should have, before he chuckled. "Perfect," the word slipped from his mouth full of adoration.

While the events unfolded before him, Julian could not look away. It was as if he was in an unbreakable trance, purposely torturing himself. It seemed true what they said; how we crave for things that we cannot have.

Julian finally looked away when Giovani chucked a meatball into his mouth, catching him completely off guard. He turned to the Argentinian, and realized that both him and Marco were glaring at him.

"You should, uh," Marco motioned to the bowl of meatballs, "eat."

He knew what they were truly implying. Stop staring. And so he looked down, away from Kaylie. Anywhere but Kaylie.

Eventually, the night came to an end, much to Kaylie and Julian's relief. No words had been exchanged between the two all night, and thankfully, Kevin never questioned it.

The men exchanged their bro hugs as Kaylie watched on with a small smile. "See you soon Kaylie," Marco gave her a quick hug, one she happily welcomed. "Yeah, take care of yourself," Giovani shot her a smile.

Finally, it was Julian's cue to speak.

"I need to grab something at the store," Julian said casually; not a hint of the discomfort he was feeling. He jabbed a thumb behind him, the opposite of where the guys were headed. "I'll see you guys tomorrow," he gave them a small wave.

Eventually, he turned to Kaylie. "It was nice meeting you," he smiled. She hadn't seen it coming that gesture from Julian. It took her awhile before she returned it. But it was a small smile, a sad smile.

"Alright, see you," Kevin planted a slap on Julian's back, before the latter turned and briskly walked away. He slipped his hands into the pockets of his hoodie, keeping his head down as he walked.

Julian didn't know what to feel. He envied Kevin; and he hated that he did. By all accords it wasn't right. But why did he constantly feel the presence of a tiny glimmer of hope? The hope that love would find a way? The hope that one day, Kaylie would be his.

"Julian wait!"

His breath hitched in his throat.

---