12

12 | what remains

"Kaylie?"

They both turned upon hearing the familiar voice. Marco Verrati stood there, a confused expression scrawled across his face. "Aren't you suppose to be at the doctors?" He asked.

Without waiting for an answer, he turned to Julian. "And what are you still doing here? I thought you left awhile ago?" The latter didn't look at Kaylie. He only pressed his lips together, "I was just leaving. See you."

With that he walked away, leaving Marco even more confused and Kaylie staring blankly ahead. Her breathing was heavy as she tried to keep her tears in. But thankfully, she regained her composure when Marco turned back to her.

"What's up with him?"

Kaylie simply shrugged, flashing him a small smile. Despite the fact that her heart was breaking on the inside, she forced the smile. She thought it'd be easier to hide the pain than to spill her heart out.

"That's Julian Draxler by the way," Marco nudged a thumb in the direction he had gone, "he's German like you two. You've never met him so don't worry. He only came to Paris about a month or so ago. He's a great guy, don't let him intimidate you or anything."

As Marco spoke, Kaylie nodded slowly; notwithstanding the fact that she already knew everything. "I'm sure," she responded with another forced smile.

"Also, aren't you suppose to be at your appointment?" he cocked an eyebrow at the German. "Yeah," she glanced behind her to where Kevin's car was parked, "I was just going, actually."

Marco cast a fleeting look at the car, before turning his attention back to Kaylie. "Good," he flashed her a warm smile. "How are you feeling these days? Better?" There was an undeniable tone of concern in his voice, and Kaylie couldn't help but smile back.

Kevin had told her a lot about Marco. That he was one of her best friends, and their friendship had a whole other story of its own. They were practically inseparable. And she was beginning to understand why.

"Uh, just the usual," she chuckled lightly. But Marco wasn't a stranger to Kaylie, and he could see when his friend was upset. She was after all, the same timid Kaylie he had first met at the gathering.

He narrowed his eyes, "what's wrong?"

Kaylie paused for a second. She honestly did want to tell him. In fact she wanted to tell anyone at that point. She felt horrible. She had practically lied to Julian, all because she couldn't stop herself from falling for him.

She hated how she had never once considered Julian's feelings. All this time she had only thought about how Kevin would be affected. But what about Julian? What about his feelings?

And what about mine?

Kaylie struggled to find the right words. "I think I've made a mistake."

---

Giovanni ambled over to the couch where Julian was staring at the television. He clearly wasn't paying any attention, despite his eyes being glued onto it.

The Argentinian sighed as he set the pizza on the coffee table. "Jule, what's wrong?" Giovanni slumped himself into the vacant space beside Julian. The latter tore his eyes away from the television, turning to his friend.

For the entire day, all he could think about was Kaylie. He felt both betrayed and helpless. Betrayed because she hadn't told him. But mostly helpless because there was a part of him that still wanted her.

Still wanted to be with her.

"If I tell you about this, you won't tell a soul right?" Julian asked, an anxious expression across his features. Giovanni blinked. He hadn't expected such a somber response. It was almost unlike the Julian he knew.

Julian had seemed down all day, but Giovanni couldn't figure out why. He decided to hang out with Julian, in hopes he could cheer him up. But whatever was on Julian's mind looked to be beating him up real bad.

Giovanni shook his head, "of course not, bro."

Julian took a deep breath, prompting Giovanni to brace himself for what was to come. "I... am in love with Kevin's girlfriend," Julian said in resignation.

Giovanni's jaw dropped at the statement. He had no clue how to react.

"I didn't know, okay?" Julian's head was still down. "And then two weeks ago I meet this amazing girl who's funny, sweet, intelligent and..." his voice trailed off. How could I not fall in love with her?

Giovanni, having regained his thoughts, raised his hands again, "she didn't tell you?" Julian merely shook his head in reply. "Oh crap," Giovanni muttered. In light of that piece of information, he had bad news.

"Jule, Kevin asked me just now if we were still down for dinner with him, Marco and... Kaylie," he uttered as Julian turned to him, "and I said we are."

Oh crap indeed.

---

is everi 1 panicking b cuz I m