Chapter 4

Keith's heart broke as he watched the omega sob. He had caused this. He had rejected Lance's nest and now he didn't feel safe. It was all his fault. Hunk snapped into action when the omega started to scratch at his arms.

"Get Coran!" he yelled as he scooped Lance into his arms. "We need to sedate him before it gets worse!"

"Worse?" Keith echoed. "What's happening to him?"

"His body is rejecting his heat!" Hunk snapped. "Because you rejected his nest! You made him feel threatened!"

"Hunk, Keith didn't know," Shiro said. "It wasn't his fault."

"I know I just...I don't want him to go through this again." Hunk sighed. The pack eyed Hunk curiously. 

"Again?" Shiro asked. Hunk's head snapped up when he realized what he had said. 

"I'll explain later," Hunk said, holding the whimpering boy in his arms. "We need to calm him down first!" 

Pidge raced into the room followed by a very frightened Coran and Allura. Coran took one look at the scene before him before he rushed to Lance's side. "Hunk what's happening to Lance?" He asked as he took out a needle with strange purplish liquid in it. An Altean sedative. He looks at Hunk for permission and Hunk nods eagerly. Coran injects the liquid into Lance and he visibly relaxes until Lance is unconscious. Hunk lets out a sigh of relief. "What's happened?"

"Lance tried to fight off his heat."

"Forgive me," Allura cut in. "But I thought you told me only omega's could have heats. Am I mistaken?"

"No," Hunk said, shaking his head sadly. "You're right. Lance is an omega--"

"He kept it a secret." Keith said bitterly. It wasn't nearly as edgy as he had wanted it to be. He was still worried about Lance. He had made Lance do this. It was his fault. 

"He has his reasons," Hunk said angrily. "He didn't exactly grow up in the best environment."

"What do you---"

Hunk held up a hand, silencing Pidge. Even thought the beta knew that Lance was an omega, Lance hadn't told her anything about himself. "It's not my place to tell. Lance'll have to explain himself. All I'm saying is you can't exactly blame Lance. We just need to focus on finding him somewhere he can nest."

"But I thought he couldn't nest anymore." Keith questions.

"He can't nest around us," Hunk says sadly. "But it is really important that he nests. I don't think his body can fight off a heat twice."

"So this has happened before?" Shiro asks. Hunk nods.

"A long time ago. A few years after Lance presented he was going into his heat and his parents accidentally took apart his nest." Hunk said. "He didn't feel safe at home, but there wasn't anywhere else he could go for his heat so his body rejected it. He ended up getting really sick. He almost died. It was really bad. I don't think Lance will be able to survive it again. He barely did the first time."

The pack looked at the only omega in their group. He was sweating and whining in his unconsciousness. He winced every few seconds. Hunk wiped some of his hair out of his face lazily. He smiled at his best friend with love and adoration. 

"So what do we do?" Shiro asked. 

"We need to find a place in the castle that none of us have been in. Somewhere where Lance won't be afraid of us walking in on him. " Hunk pondered this. They had pretty much been everywhere in the castle. The only places where they haven't been in is the ninth and tenth floor. "Coran? What's on the ninth and tenth floors?"