Chapter 11

"Okay....what did you want to talk about?" Lance asked, hoping to control his nervous scent. He didn't want Keith to know just how terrified he was. What was he going to say? Was he going to tell Lance to fuck off? That's be pretty called for, after all Lance attacked him during his heat. Tried to get Keith to mate with him. 

"I just...." Keith huffed angrily, raking his hands through his raven mullet. Damnit! Why was it so hard to just say Hey Lance I wanna court you?

"You want to what?!"  Lance screeched. Keith looked up in surprise.

Oh. He'd said that out loud. 

"Wait wait, so you want to what?" Lance asked, hoping his voice wouldn't betray his confusion. What the hell? Keith wanted to court Lance? But didn't Keith reject him?

"I didn't mean to say it like that.." Keith laughed. "But, yes, I really do. I...I'm really sorry about everything because I really just want to......ugh. I'm sorry. I'm really bad at this whole talking thing." Keith flushed heavily. Fuck! Why was it so hard to form proper sentences in front of Lance?

"I...don't understand." Lance said after an uncomfortably long silence.

Keith looked up from the floor to meet Lance's eyes. Lance was staring at Keith, his eyes glistening. "Shit! I--Lance, I'm so sorry! Did I--"

"Why would you want to court me?" Lance's heartbroken voice snapped Keith out of his confused stupor. Keith crossed over to Lance, taking him into his arms where Lance broke down. Keith cooed, whispering sweet nothings into his ears and scenting him trying to calm him down. 

"Lance...I...I really love you." Keith whispered, causing Lance stiffen in shock. Keith love him? But...."I understand if you don't feel the same way--"

"NO!" Lance cried, pressing closer to Keith. "I do! I....I just...I'm confused."

Keith pressed against Lance's scent gland, breathing in the sweet scent of mangoes and coconuts and sea salt...as well as the bitter scent of burnt cotton that was Lance's distressed smell. It was faint, but there and that made Keith want to get rid of it. 

"Why are you confused, love?' Keith asked, nuzzling against Lance's scent glad enticing a chirp from said omega.

"I...you rejected me..?" Lance asked. Keith hissed. "Sorry! I just--"

"I will never reject you." Keith said in hushed anger. He wasn't mad at Lance, never at Lance, but he was angry at himself for making Lance feel rejected. No wonder he was so afraid to talk to Keith. 

"But you left me during my heat," Lance whined sadly. "You covered your ears when I cried for you." Lance sobbed, the pain he felt when he saw Keith abandoning him still sharp. It was all coming back, the hurt he felt when.....

No! Lance refused to remember that! That was something Lance couldn't remember because he would surely break down. What happened wasn't his fault. He didn't cause it. It's not his fault...

"Lance," Keith whispered, drawing Lance away from the dark path his thoughts were going down. "I'm so sorry. I didn't want to let you go, believe me. But you were in heat. And I was feral. We hadn't talked yet and I didn't want to take advantage of you..."

"What if I wanted to be taken advantage of?" Lance challenged. 

"I still wouldn't have done anything," Keith said, pressing a light kiss to Lance's neck. "I will never take advantage of you. I love you too much."

"That's comforting, at least." Lance joked. "Ugh. I'm such an idiot."

"You're my idiot," Keith said. Lance laughed and hugged Keith tighter.