7. The One With Red Paint

❝It was always me versus the worldUntil I found it's me versus me

Until I found it's me versus me.❞

-Kendrick Lamar

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

🗝DELILAH 🗝

Someone had left a thoughtful little message on the window of my car this morning. I was greeted by the words: MAN STEALING WHORE in a lovely shade of red over the driver side's window and door. A larger piece of text was on the windshield in the same color. Leave Already While You Still Can.

I smiled, surprisingly. I found myself laughing a little even.

"You're laughing?" My roommate and sorority sister Dunya stared at me, tilting her head. We're the only Asian girls in our sorority and she's my closest friend here.

I shrugged. "It's funny."

"How the hell do you find this funny? It's a threat, Lilah."

"They aren't going to do anything serious." They never do.

"This is serious." Dunya boomed. "Do you know who did this?"

"Why even ask?" I scoffed.

I was pretty certain I knew who did this piece of work on my beaten-up Honda. It was either Rebecca Thompson or one of her brainless friends. Rebecca used to be my friend at the sorority.

There really wasn't much to do around here except for pissing someone off with some form of a threat just for the kicks. I was there usual target after what happened last month. "It's all just talk. You know that."

Rebecca was certain that her boyfriend, Noah, broke up with her because of me. It started as suspicions that he would leave her, but I reassured her that it was paranoia when they were still together. I gave her hope.

Last month, Noah tried flirt with me at a party, but I promptly told him he was acting inappropriate and that he shouldn't string along another girl when he was obviously interested in others.

So he dumped her...right in front of me.

I explained once more that simply because he was single didn't mean we were going to be together. He wasn't my type. I wasn't into the greasy-haired country boy that wanted me as his girlfriend. That wasn't a dig at country boys, just this particular one. For living in Texas for my entire life, I had learned to appreciate the swoon-worthy draw of a southern accent. But somehow Noah can make everything appealing seem unattractive.

"It doesn't matter, it's still a threat, Delilah," Dunya said, "You should-"

"What? Go to the police?" I laughed harder. "Rebecca's dad is the sheriff. They probably already know she did it. That doesn't mean they'd actually tell me. Besides, it's not that big of a deal."