63. In Which Scott Sketches A Scandal

❝I am fond of pigs

❝I am fond of pigs.
Dogs look up to us.
Cats look down on us.
Pigs treat us as equals.❞

-Winston Churchill

a/n: please vote

p.s. i'm basing ziyan's family off people i know -
and not a generalization of all pakistani/desi people. but if you would like to make any remarks, please feel free to and we can have an open discussion in the comment section
✨ keep it classy ✨

✏️ SCOTT ✏️

Salma was in the kitchen. Changing direction, I decided to talk to her. When I walked in, she had the fridge door open and her head was in the freezer. A loud, exigent screech filled the space. I didn't know what she was doing - confused as why she was giving the ice cream and frozen green beans a scare.

Was there trouble in paradise already? Didn't they just announce to all of us that Ziyan was with her? I couldn't imagine her anger being rooted to her new romance.

"Salma?"

She didn't reply. Not a single peep came out of her.

Spotting a few dishes, I wring the sponge, dabbed a tad bit of soap on it, and began soaking it in water. I hated messes and the kitchen looked terrible after everyone had breakfast.

"You were fine earlier, Sal. Are you okay? Dumb question — " I scoffed. "You obviously aren't okay."

This time, she made an audible response, but it was hard to make out. You know, with her head lodged in the refrigerator and all.

"Huh?"

I craned my neck a little more to the left, closer to where she was standing.

"I didn't catch that."

"Catch some common sense and leave me the fuck alone."

"Geez, I was only trying—"

"Trying to butt in and make shit more complicated for me?" she interjected. Salma shut the fridge door and massaged my temple. "Ugh, I'm sorry. I'm...out of it...I'm not myself right now."

"I can tell. You don't usually snap like that to me."

Since Jaxon abduction, Salma and I had grown closer. I wouldn't call us besties, or pals of some sort. We tolerated each other more than that day on the swings. She was more honest with me and it wasn't uncommon for her to be in my room, waiting to see if I had any new updates on Jaxon and his whereabouts.

After Toni's first date, Salma stayed up until the late hours of the night—anxious to hear back from us. She waited up in my room with her PJs on, munching on a bag of kettle chips when I got home.

So for her to give me this type of attitude, it just didn't add up.

"If it's about Ziyan," I started to say, "Then I'm sorry for overstepping some personal lines."