43. The One With Heat

❝ThoughtsSometimes, I just can't control my thoughtsNo medication's ever made them stopAll I think about is everything I'm notInstead of everything I got

❝Thoughts
Sometimes, I just can't control my thoughts
No medication's ever made them stop
All I think about is everything I'm not
Instead of everything I got
...
Yeah, I swear to God I'm trying,
but I don't know how to be
How to be a good friend to me.❞

--Thoughts By Sasha Sloan (song above)

SALMA

When people place expectations on me, ones that I never asked for, I tend to react in the worst way. Life was full of disappointments, and truth be told, I was made up entirely of disappointing attributes. Despite what I said, one thing that could not be pinned to my name was being a liar.

"I'm lost," I confessed to Jaxon, puffing out the smoke. "I don't recall promising you my sobriety at this dinner. I said I would be there, and that's it."

"You think I want you stoned out of your mind at my parents place?"

"You want me there. That's the main thing you want...do you not want me to go anymore?"

"No, I do."

"What's the big deal?" Ziyan chimed in. "Your parents are going to be drinking with their dinner, no doubt."

"This doesn't involve you," Jaxon noted. "Don't butt in."

"I can say whatever the fuck I want. Bitch, you don't even pay rent." Ziyan huffed. "Talk to me when you make an actual contribution to this household beside your waste of space."

"Who are you trying to act tough for? You sound dumb."

"Bro, I've been talking like this since the third grade. Tell 'em Jamal."

"I do attest to his claim as a reliable witness," Jamal chimed.

Ziyan shrugged. "I rest my case."

Jaxon snickered. "Hearing you talk made me roll my eyes all the way back, so far back that I could see my childhood."

No one laughed at what he said. Due to the pure silence, Ziyan fell over and slapped his knee, laughing the whole time. "Wanna know what I hate more than that corny ass joke? I hate people like you, hating on kush but getting fucked up on booze. Hypocrite. I've seen you down beers like it's fucking water. Do you even drink water that fast?"

"Man, he's from the hillbilly side of town. That is his water." Jamal joked. "Don't you listen to country songs? All men talk about is getting a cold beer and riding down a dirt road, or some shit like that."

Jaxon sighed, rolling the wheels of his wheelchair to the patio area. He didn't go beyond the stretch of cement, remaining on solid ground. "I know people have changed their views on marijuana in our generation, but that's not the case for folks like my parents. They don't even like drinking to the point of getting drunk."