10. The One Where Delilah Goes Flying Pt. 2

❝Staying silent is like a slow growing cancer to the soul and a trait of a true coward

There is nothing intelligent about not standing up for yourself. You may not win every battle.
However, everyone will at
least know what you stood for—YOU.❞

Shannon L. Alder

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

🗝DELILAH 🗝

Jaxon offered me a personal tour twice. Both requests were stopped short by me politely saying no. He should've been sufficed after that moment, but instead, he asked for a third time towards the end of my interview. I was still unsure as to why he kept calling it 'personal' and why he was so adamant in giving me one. I was no longer on the fence on how I felt about Jaxon.

He was getting on my nerves and he had pushed all the wrong buttons. I despised people who repeated their question when they already knew my answer was a clear and obvious no. People who further on ask more only prove to me that there will most certain be other times where they won't take my no as a sufficient answer. They're the kind of people I stayed far, far away from in all circumstances.

"You answered all the questions," Scott said, looking over the paper in his hands and then stuffed them back into the folder. "You make enough to live here and contribute to the household. You're a perfect candidate. I'm going to inform my fellow roommate, Brenda Hernandez, about your application."

"Really?" I smiled. "When can I move in?"

"Once you pay two-hundred dollars in advance—"

"Wait, what for?"

"It goes towards the rent. Since you're a new roommate, we need a portion of your payment ahead of time. It's only for the first month. It's not my rule, it's Brenda's. But I gotta stick to it."

My spirit deflated, along with shoulders, slumping back on to the couch. "I don't have two hundred dollars in my bank right now. I'm not getting paid until this Friday. Can't you wait till then?"

"I'm sorry, I can't. Rules are rules."

"I don't have anywhere to go." I plead, a crack slipped out of my voice. I didn't want to cry in front of these guys. I held it together, managing to say: "I have fifty dollars to my name and nowhere to sleep."

"Aren't you still a part of your sorority?"

"Yes...I am. But I hate it there." I croak.

"It's only two days till Friday."

Two days too many, I thought.

"I was really hoping I could move in today."

"You can stay at my place," a new voice interjected. I spun in my seat and came nose to nose with Jaxon. He was leaning on the back of the couch I was on. Realizing our closeness, I jerked backwards like a hand hovering over a hot stove. "I have a pull-out couch you can crash on."