26. The One With A Flashback

❝The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it

❝The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.❞
-Albert Einstein 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

🗝DELILAH 🗝

a/n: if you're enjoying this story, voting only takes a second. please vote.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Age 15: Morton, TX

The sun, high in the sky with no sign of it dimming in intensity anytime soon, shined down on to my shoulders. I was beginning to freckle as the warmer weather took over our forecast, proving this summer would be hotter than the last. I had my back to the house, washing dad's car in the driveway for allowance money. He said if I put in good work on the rims, then I'd get an extra ten on top of the twenty.

Wiggling my fingers into the cool liquid shooting out of the water hose, I held my hand to my burning cheeks and began to sigh, relief washed over me. I partly wished I convinced my gullible brother to help, lying about the amount I was being paid so that I could just cough up five bucks for his involvement.

"It's half of what I got, I swear," would be what I would've said to convince him.

The idea was becoming more appealing, settling in my thoughts as the sound of an incoming car pulled on to our dusty road. I swore under my breath, realizing that it was Mona's boyfriend. Mona being my sister, oldest by three years. But whenever anyone saw us, they thought I was her senior, mostly to due who Mona was.

It was hard to explain to someone who didn't know her. She was an interesting case, to say the least. Her temper that ruined her reputation proceeded her, giving her the title as the hot-headed Park daughter. She ditched the piano lessons my parents pushed on her and swapped it for a boyfriend to take up her time.

"Hey bum," Bou hollered, hopping out his black car that rumbled an unnatural noise, waking up our neighbors whenever he was near. "Is your sister inside, bum?"

I flipped him off.

He stumbled a step back, clenching his chest. "Ouch, I was kidding."

"I'm not." I snapped. "And I'm not about to be called a bum by someone who's literally unemployed. You're the definition of a bum."

"I was teasing, kid. Geez, lighten up," he said, taking the remaining steps to the front of the house. He ruffled my bangs, causing me to flick the wet towel at him. He swatted it out of his way, crying out. "Hey, this is new."

"You could've fooled me. Looks as crusty as your personality."

He rolled his eyes, but a ghost of a smile lingered on his lips. "You know I was only kidding, don't you, Delilah?"