Chapter 2: The Cali Life

Authors Note: 

Okay I am extremely aware all kinds of readers hate these. SO I'll try to keep it at a minimum. First, I will be releasing chapters in bunches that way you don't have to be wanting more. I will try to update as much as I can. Second, Send me some covers for this novel! ALRIGHTY Here is chapter 2. Bone Apple Teeth

-----------------------------

Ava's POV

It took 30 hours to get to California. Can I mention that we were in a cramped U Haul. Not really my ideal way to road trip. At the moment, Mom is signing some paperwork for the new house. I haven't seen it in it's physical aspect, but I have seen pictures. It's definitely  better than the house in Minnesota. But still, California doesn't have my best friends. Speaking of them, Jasper hasn't stopped texting me, Khloe on the other hand, hasn't really gotten in touch with me. Maybe she's busy?

Mom hopped in the car again driving to god knows where. I drifted off into sleep, and let me tell you. Best nap ever! Unfortunately, I couldn't peel my eyes off of my phone as I was expecting a call from Khloe. My second nap would have to be postponed.

"Ava start unloading the truck, and get off that damn phone will you?" I heard from outside of the truck. Guess we were here already.

"Ava I know this is hard for you, but please try not to look like you want to run yourself over when you're meeting the neighbors." My mom said putting on her tightest smile.

Rolling my eyes and in the sweetest voice I could muster, "Of course mommy! So happy to live in California!!"

"That's the spirit! Welcome to Anderson Avenue, i'm Kate and this is my husband Xavier." a middle aged woman spoke.

"Oh! Er.. Hi." I said shyly looking for my mother to take over the conversation

I could hear their indistinct chatter, as I took in the features of the house. It was a brick two story house, with two garage doors. I walked around the house and saw that we had a pool. At least something was looking up from the move. We had a huge patio, I could definitely get some reading in here. 

"Honey, I forgot some papers at the real estate office. Here" she tosses me what looks like the house keys "check out the house and get situated, i'll be quick."

"Sounds good, Oh! Do you mind bringing me some takeout for dinner? I'm starved." She nods and jogs up into the U Haul.

I opened the house and immediately saw a staircase leading up from the middle of the lobby. I walked further into the home, and saw a furnished living room with white couches and black pillows. The kitchen was all marble and seemed very expensive looking.

The house was something that seemed out of our budget. Mom definitely had some explaining to do. I walked upstairs and saw a long corridor with five doors. Yep. So out of budget. The first room was the master bedroom, which had it's own bathroom. The second room was a lounge area. I would so be using that. The third room was another bedroom which was a bit smaller than the first one. The fourth was a very spacious room, that had it's own balcony overlooking the beach. I'd definitely be keeping that one. Lastly, the fifth room was just another bathroom.

I didn't really have much planned for today, so I think i'm just gonna go check out the neighborhood. I quickly made my way downstairs locking the door behind me. As I was walking down the road, I kept thinking about what California would have to offer me. Sure the weather is nice, and their is so much to do. But I couldn't help but feel something was missing. 

A couple blocks later, I came across this bakery. And BOY do I love cookies. I mean come on. Who doesn't? Perfect excuse to fatten up a bit. 

This green eyed girl greeted me saying, "Hi, Welcome to Big D's Bakery, what can I get you?"

"I'll have 2 chocolate chip cookies, 1 mint cookie, 3 red velvet, and one raspberry tea."

"Are you new here? Er- wait sorry, was that too forward?" she smiled shyly.

"Yeah" I giggled "I actually just moved here an hour ago to  be exact." I said while checking my watch,

"OH EM GEE! That's so cool! From where?!" she exclaimed laying her head on her palms.

"From Minnesota actually, i'm still getting used to the weather as you can see." I mentioned, pointing out my sweatshirt and leggings.

"You have to give me your number! I could use a friend this school year!" she quietly mumbled "since mine backstabbed me.."

"Oh- uh sure! I could um- use all the friends I can get" I smiled genuinely for the first time since arriving at this state.

I handed her my phone and paid for my desserts, "I'll see you around, i'll definitely be here often" I said laughing.

She gave me a friendly wave.  Crap! I never got her name. I ran back into the store. 

"W...what was your name..?"I said clearly out of breath. I wonder why, since I jog a lot.

"Oh, I'm Lizzie."

"Awesome, now um i'm gonna g-" Before I could get the words out I ran into the glass door, slowly falling onto the ground. "Ouch.."

"Are you okay?!?" Lizzie said crouching next to me. 

"Peachy."I grumbled.

"Right well bye" She smiled.

----

NEXT DAY

Another day, another restless night for me. Ever since my Dad left us, I hadn't been able to sleep an entire night, without feeling abandoned. Sure, my mother was always here but I missed when my dad would come into my room and give me a good nights kiss. It's not like I cry over him, I just expect everyone to leave me like he did so easily.

I turned around to check the time, and realized it was 3 in the morning. Nothing new, might as well get up now and start jogging. I put my hair up and threw on a maroon leggings with a grey sweatshirt from my high school back home. As I was putting on my shoes, my mom was getting ready for another day at work. She finished up college so she could become a nurse, and she explained to me last night that this job came with good pay, which meant she wouldn't be home a lot. And this was one of those nights.

"What are you doing up kiddo?"My mom asked rubbing her eyes.

"Can't sleep." I said whilst tying my shoe laces.

"Are you sure you don't want to see a therapist, or use someone to talk to..?" my mom trailed off.

"For the 80th time mom, i'm not depressed about Dad leaving us, I just have bad sleeping habits." Obviously I lied, if my mom found out about me being upset, I wouldn't see the end of it.

She started staring at me in disbelief, "If you're sure.. Are you gonna be okay alone?"

"Yeah, I'll find something to do. Do you know what time you'll be home?"

"Hon, with this job, I have no idea. I'll text you when I get off." She checked her watch swiftly "I'm gonna be late, I'll be home soon. Love you." She said kissing my forehead.

I didn't have time to get any words out because as quick as she said I love you. She was gone.