Chapter 37: Life Goes On Too Fast

Ava's POV

The entire senior class were currently inside the high school's gym. Today was the day we chose what college/career path we wanted to go to. You could tell most people were nervous considering they were all listening attentively and they were shaking their legs. However, Chase seemed as cool as a pickle. He was currently on his phone scrolling through his Twitter feed giving off relaxed vibes. I, on the other hand, had my fingers shaking and was bobbing my leg up and down. 

Chase noticed my sudden outburst and put a comforting hand on my thigh. "Would you chill out for a second?" he whispered shining his perfect white teeth at me.

"Hmm, you see I would but my entire life depends on this choice!" I whispered back harshly.

Chase chuckled quietly to himself and focused his attention back on his phone. "Do you even know where you're applying to?" I sassed.

Chase whipped his head towards me and asked, "Do you?"

"Touche." I replied.

The assembly went on and the principle began saying how important this decision was. She also mentioned that we should always have a fall back just in case we don't get accepted into the college we want. My mind suddenly went back to the college my dad attended. He had attended Michigan State University, and he used to tell  me that it would be his dream for me to also go there. Since he wasn't around anymore, would it still feel right if I went?

I didn't notice the parade of people moving around until Chase nudged my shoulder, "I told you not to think about me naked anymore."

Rolling  my eyes I said, "Remember what happened last time you decided to be a perv?"

His face went pale, i'm assuming he remembered the slap I gave him last week at my bonfire. "How about we go check out these colleges?" He said changing the subject.

"Good idea."

----

The gym was filled to the brim with posters and people from different colleges. I had lost Chase to a couple of his friends, which then I decided to venture of on my own to get my head cleared up. I walked along and saw a table set up with Michigan State information. I hadn't noticed I stopped and stared until the lady behind the table asked, "You thinking about attending?"

"Oh, uh-i'm not sure.." 

Her smile perked up a bit, "Well, how about you take the pamphlet and look at the board of pictures." 

She handed me the pamphlet and I decided to look through it. Michigan State offered so many things, and had so many majors I could pick from. The very old lady was still smiling at me a little too brightly, which sort of freaked me out.

"What's your name sweetie?" 

"Ava Kendrick."

Her mouth opened and her eyebrows shot up, "You wouldn't happen to be the daughter of Kevin Kendrick would you?"

"Yeah... how'd you know?" I said confusion stinging my voice.

"I'd recognize that last name anywhere! You're father was one of the best athletes at Michigan State! Everyone knows him, how is he?!" the lady babbled.

How the hell do I answer that? Do I just blurt out he left me and my mom, or do I lie? Apparently I was taking too long of a time because the lady quipped, "Well?"

Here goes nothing, "You'd have to ask him, seeing as I haven't seen or heard from him since I was 16."

The lady's smile completely dropped and her eyes widened. "Oh sweetie, i'm sorry. I-I didn't know."

I smiled at her, "Don't worry about it. Mind if I take an application sheet?" 

She nodded quickly, and I took it as my cue to leave the awkward scene. I don't know if I was more confused on the fact that my dad was an exceptional athlete or that she recognized his last name right away. I shook my head from these thoughts and my way to Chase who was standing in the same spot I left him in. He was still chatting with his friends. I also didn't fail to see that he was chatting humorously with Todd, even after their little encounter yesterday. 

"Hey guys." I greeted everyone.

"What's up Ava." Julian said slinging his arm over my shoulder. I turned to look over at Chase who was glaring down at his best friend. Of course Julian had a smug look on his face. I mean he lived to see Chase squirm. I didn't understand their logic, but boys will be boys.

Chase pulled me away from him which caused Julian to burst into a fit of laughter. Obviously Chase ignored him and asked, "So did you check out any colleges?"

"Yeah, a few." I decided to leave out where I went, because I figured i'd tell him when we weren't surrounded by people who didn't need to know about the departure of my father. .."What about you?"

"We'll talk later, yeah?" You could not see how happy I was to hear those words. I mean we were on the same page.

"Sounds like a plan!" I added a little too eager. "I heard there are some cookies outside the gym, wanna come?"

"Is that even a question?" Chase said dragging me out of the gym. We were huge sweet tooth junkies and I think that made me love him a little more. 

We stepped out of the gym, and walked a little too quickly towards the snack bar. I caught sight of the red velvet cookies and I full on sprinted towards them. I heard Chase laughing at me from behind me. We were the only ones out in the hallway so we took a little advantage of it. Not in the way you're thinking though. We stuffed our faces with all the snacks leaving almost nothing on the table.

I began laughing hysterically, "You.. have something.. on. your face..!" 

Chase was red faced and clutched his stomach, "You...too!" He grabbed my face and licked where I assume I had frosting. "M-mm much better."

"You little fuc-" He then put a hand on my lips and put a finger on his lips. I shut my mouth and followed him towards the end of the hallway. I could hear muffled noise coming from inside one one of janitor's closet.

"It's probably some horny teens in there." Chase whispered. "...Let's scare the shit out of them."

"Deal!" I whispered back.

He stepped in front of me and swung the janitor's closet door open. We heard two high pitched screeches from the other side. "What the hell..." Chase muttered.

I stepped in front of him to see what all then commotion was about. My eyes popped open, and I could feel my mouth drop so far down. I couldn't believe my own eyes. "Lizzie and Kiki?!" I yelled.

Their clothes were wrinkled, and both of their makeup was smeared. They both looked at me with shameful looks on their faces. "Ava..i'm so sorry." Lizzie murmured.

I put my hand up, "How long has this been going on for?" 

"Ava.." Kiki said taking a step forward.

"Don't." I said sharply. "..answer me.."

"Two months." Lizzie answered.

"Who else knows..." I choked out. 

"Mia and Abigail." Kiki replied firmly.

At this point, tears were threatening to spill out but I refused to let them go. How could they do this to me? It wasn't even the fact that they were lesbian. I was more than okay with their sexuality, it was that they kept me in the dark about this whole situation. I was the only one who didn't know besides Chase. l felt  so stupid.

I turned around and ran out of school, I didn't care that I still had a few more class periods left or that Chase was left alone. I needed to get the hell out of there before I showed them my weak side. I felt like I was being consumed by a black hole and I couldn't escape it. 

Did they not trust me enough?