[09]

HORIZON
nine | let's dance

          FINGERTIPS TOUCHED THE SKY WITH grace as soft lips sang along to the music of pride

FINGERTIPS TOUCHED THE SKY WITH grace as soft lips sang along to the music of pride. Kisses from the sun grazed on every pair of cheeks, expressing acceptance. Strong waves of wind blew by, letting hair run free into the air filled with happiness and a little bit of glitter. Any care sat in the backseats of cars, soaking in heat.

Being so lost in the moment of pure bliss, Savannah didn't feel the light tap on her arm as she danced in the crowd. A sudden pull brought her attention to someone she hadn't really spoken to; Wes. "I know Bianca told you about me being trans. I kind of want to keep it a secret so if you don't mind, please don't tell anyone you know."

Grabbing the boy by the shoulder, she pulled Wes into a tight side hug. Her head rested on top of his since she was slightly taller than him. Swaying their bodies side to side, she quickly kissed the top of his head before saying, "the only people I know besides you guys are my parents, West Side. Don't worry."

Savannah was too distracted by the multiple things happening around her that she didn't hear Wes' snarky remark about the nickname she had given him. A few days after they first met, she was told not to call him anything but 'Wes' because it annoyed him to his very core. Naturally being the stubborn girl she is, she called the boy any name besides 'Wes'. She knew that he secretly liked it by his lack of correction.

For most of the parade, the kids stayed close to Fanny. At one point, Bianca did wander off to buy rainbow merchandise and didn't tell anyone. Without Fanny noticing, she threw out the neon flag she was given when no one was looking. Out of all of the bright clothes in the crowds, her dark outfit stood out.

"Hey," Carson shouted over the loud music, "Fanny needs to sit down for a bit so she's letting us dance over there. Wanna come?"

Agreeing, she let the ginger girl lead the way into a large crowd of dancing people. Anxiety began to bubble at the bottom of her stomach like a fizzy drink. Just because she was having the time of her life didn't mean her worst enemy wouldn't show up. The thought of being so close to people as if they were in the middle of a sandwich made her fingers shake.

'You're going to get trampled on and no one will notice. Someone is going to steal something from your backpack while you're not looking and you'll ruin everyone's day by needing to go home to cancel cards and phone plans. You're going to get stolen and no one will care.'

Doubts circled in her brain. Should she sit with Fanny until she's ready to start walking around again? Or should she fight the negative thoughts anxiety is throwing at her and do something she would normally never do? As she stared at Carson, though, glancing back at her to see if she was following, a decision was made. There was no way she was missing an opportunity to dance with a beautiful girl.