First Love - One

I do not own the hunger games books or movies. They belong to their respective owners. I only own Lacey xxx

"Lacey!" My dad calls. I finish my dress and run downstairs, my Dad was waiting in the living room of our small house.

My Name is Lacey Ryder I'm 18 years old and I live with my Dad Mason Ryder who is a former career from district 1. We moved to district 8 when I was five after my mother died from a stray knife. She was training future volunteer careers at the academy when a newbie missed their aim by far and killed her. My father pleaded with President Snow to move. When he granted our move we moved as far away as we wanted to but still have some luxury. Anyway back to the story.

"Yes Daddy?"

"Have you finished you dress modifications?" he wondered to having to widen out the dress by a inch or two

"Yes Daddy" i smiled

"Good girl there should be some hot water left why don't you go wash up and make yourself look even more beautiful" he kissed the top of my head. I nodded and left to go wash. It was my last year of being reaped. I had gotten away for almost seven years, going upstairs I wash thoroughly. Then let my hair dry into its natural waves then I slipped my mother's dress. I always wore it to Reapings because it was the same one she wore. It made me feel closer to her so that's why I wore it.

After I finished with what little make up I had, I then slipped into some flats and went downstairs. Dad was in a shirt, tie and slacks he turned to face me and smiled.

"You look just like your mother" he took my hands and kissed them. "Let's go" he smiled just as the siren rung out. Leaving our house we made our way to the justice hall. I held my hand out and they took a smudge of my blood. I went to the front row of the 18 year olds and waited. Textiles mean that everyone was nicely dressed. The doors of the justice hall opened and the mayor with his wife came out followed District 8's escort Daphne Romelda trotted out in her tight capitol clothes and heals.

"Welcome, Welcome. Happy Hunger Games. Now before we begin we have a very special film all the way from the capitol." she beamed as the usual video came on. I rolled my eyes. I didn't care.

"Now the time has come for the choosing of the young man and woman to honour district 8. As usual ladies first." She trots over to the bowl filled with girls names and i held my breath.

"Penny O' Dwyer" i breathe a sigh of relief as someone walks forward but instead of a teenager like 14 or older one of the 12 year olds walks out. She has red hair and tears fall down her face in fear. No, a 12 year old can't fight i wasn't fair. i groaned in frustration for what I'm about to do.

"I volunteer as tribute" i hold my hand up walking out.

"well, well come on up dear." i walk up and stop at the girl then bet down.

"go quickly find your adult" i tell her

"thank you" she whispered then ran off. I walk up the steps and was taken to centre stage.

"So dear what is your name?" Daphne questioned

"Lacey Ryder" I replied

"lovely now for the boys" she grabbed a fateful name.

"Burton James" she called out. a boy from the 15 year olds slowly made and appearance. He reminded me of a picture my Dad had of when he was younger. And that sense of familiarity made me feel protective. Once he made his way up the stairs Daphne pulled him to her side.

"Go on you two shake hands" i held out my hand and gave him a reassuring smile.

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour" Daphne escorted us into the building and the peacemakers put us in a room. and I wait for my Dad to come. When the door finally opens I attack I'm in a hug.

"Honey I'm so proud of you. What you did for that young girl was admirable" he muttered in my ear. I pulled away and looked at him.

"you're not mad?" i asked

"no, oh no. sad yes but I've been training you since you were six you're as lethal as the ones from your birth district. I had a feeling you might be in them and i didn't want you going in blind. I know you can win this Lace just be calm and don't take shit from no one. Your mum will be watching down on you i know it." he smiled softly.

"I love you Daddy." he kissed my temple

"i love you to darling" he pulled something out his pocket and it was Mum's favourite necklace.

"i was going to give it to you for graduating the reaping but it seems fitting as your district token." he slipped it on and hugged me again.

"times up" a peacekeeper came in.

"give it your everything Lace and make us proud" i nodded as he was taken out. I was finally escorted to the car where Daphne sat inbetween us. Arriving at the train station people gathered to see us tributes. We walked passed them and onto the train.

"In you come" we entered the dining room where two previous victors i knew to be Woof and Cecilia were waiting.

"Woof and Cecelia these are Lacey and Burton this years tributes. Lacey you will be working with Cecelia and Burton you will be working with Woof." we sat down

"hello" they smiled

"hello" we replied Daphne sat down and began doing her own thing"

"so how are old are you?" Woof asked

"18" i replied

"15" Burton replied

"skills"

"attack and defence as well as survival skills my parents were formally careers and my Dad taught me everything he knew after mum died. I'm all set." i informed them

"really? if that's the case we might have a winner this year."

"unlikely I'm going to help Burton get out" i looked at the boy

"why?" he asked shocked

"cause you remind me of someone that is close to me which makes me protective of you. deal with it."

"are you sure you were born to careers?" Cecelia wondered i grinned

"Burton what are your skills"

"basic survival skills" he noted

"alright I'm sure Lacey will help you with something." Woof nodded.

"let's eat" Daphne grinned. We did and soon it was time to watch the other Reapings. I took not of district 1 the male 'Marvel' seemed cocky but there was a hint of danger his partner Glimmer was a show off thinking she was the number one girl. District 2 girl looked sadistic something tells even me to stay away. However the district to male I'm ashamed to say looked unnaturally gorgeous with his dirty blonde hair and sea blue eyes that you could swim in for ages" I saw mine and Burtons. From this angle I saw I oozed danger and power once I left the little girl for the stage. Burton looked even more petrified than I first saw. I ignored all until District 11 when a little girl similar to the one I volunteered for was chose along with a 17 year old looked like he shouldn't be messed with but I could easily overpower. Then came 12, a girl who volunteered for her sister a 12 year old like the one I did the same and the boy looked cute but harmless.

After we finished I went to my room and changed into a night dress and as soon as my head hit the pillow I fell asleep