First Love - Eight

The next morning I pulled Burton away before we could leave to tell him something.

"Burton I need you to listen to me okay." he nodded

"when you're in the games find Cato, the guy from district 2" i told him and he looked confused.

"why he'll kill me" i shook my head.

"I'm going to tell you something that for now know one else can know...Cato is my boyfriend." his eyes bulged and he was about to say something when i cut him off.

"he's not the heartless monster you think he is. He promised me last night he will take care of you. Just find him, and he'll make sure you won't come to any harm."

"But what about you"

"I'll be here and there sometimes keeping a eye on the both of you. At the start i won't have alliances, but I will join you once I have my bearings." he nodded

"okay" I smiled

Later that morning I stood in the lift waiting to take us down to where i would bored the hover craft. Cecelia was with me.

"Now they will put all sorts of weapons and things right in the mouth of the mouth of the cornucopia, don't go for it"

"why not?"

"its a bloodbath they want to kill as many of you of as possible. Grab a bag and run not far though. Just somewhere you can see them but they won't see you. When the coast is clear get as much as you can carry."

"okay anything else?"

"Don't step of that pedestal early, there are bombs that blow you up if you do and are only de activated on 0."

"Got it." the doors opened and she stopped me

"Good luck I know you have a great chance" she smiled. I hugged her then went to sit on the craft I sat between Cato and a girl from district 4. Cato sat back and his little finger found mine and wrapped itself around as a sign of comfort. Soon the lights dimmed and we set off. I saw Burton and gave him a reassuring nod. He gave a half smile in return. He then looked down and I could see he spotted the little gesture between me and Cato, looking back up he gave me a hint of a smile.

Once we arrived peacekeepers escorted us to our launch rooms. JJ was there in all her Capitol glory, I went and hugged her before she went and grabbed my coat. i slipped it on and she zipped it up.

"30 seconds"

"thank you JJ" I whispered she smiled

"i have something for you. From you charming prince" she opened a small box and in there was a heart necklace.

"what?"

"no need to play dumb your prince trusted me with this secret" she clasped it around my neck.

"10 seconds"

"go get 'em sweetheart" I stepped in the tube which was in the corner of the room and the door closed the last thing i saw was her teary eyes. I was raised up into the arena which was like a meadow with a forest and lake surrounding it. I looked around and saw Burton he looked panicked. When I saw me I told him to calm down and breath. The countdown began. Burton looked all over till I saw he was looking at Cato who was looking at me.

"Remember" I mimed he got it and nodded. I raised my hand up to where my necklace was hidden and I could have sworn I saw him smile a little.

10

9

8

7

6

5

4

3

2

1

I ran like hell grabbing a bag and going into the woods. Like Cecelia advised I found somewhere high so I could see them but they didn't me. I saw Burton run for Cato and Cato was about to kill him when he stopped. They nodded to each other and Cato handed Burton a weapon some words were exchanged before Cato began killing any and nearly every tribute who was unfortunate to run into his path. I saw what he meant by I might not recognise him. This wasn't training anymore this was real. Finally the bloodbath was over and the Careers left. I took my chance to sneak in and get as much as I could.

I ran in and into the cornucopia past all the dead bodies. I grabbed and axe, spear, knifes and food to last me a while then swapped bag packs for a bigger one. I left the cornucopia and set about making a meal or catching some. I had supplies to eat when I was moving around but I wanted something that would last. So I set a trap and waited. I finally caught a rabbit and stripped it.  once it was cooked i ate and got rid of the fire. I climbed up a tree and secured myself before getting some sleep.

I was awoken by the anthem for the tributes. I sighed i knew Cato and Burton were safe that's all that mattered. After trying to get some sleep I was awoken by a scream then a cannon. not long after there were footsteps. and i saw the careers and friends come along. Burton and Cato were behind the rest.

"where do you think she is" Burton asked

"don't know but she's a fighter we know that" i smiled

"psst" i said "psst" they looked up and saw me.

"Lacey" Cato covered Burton's mouth i waved at them and blew a kiss to Cato.

"go ahead if they ask where i am say i thought i heard someone and went to kill them." Cato ordered Burton who nodded and left. Cato climbed up with ease and balanced as he grinned

"and where have you been?"

"Here and there." I smiled he leaned in a kissed me, I returned it and pulled away.

"you know if the other careers catch us they won't be so happy."

"i don't care" he whispered as he leaned his forehead on mine.

"when will you come back to me"

"look who sounds cheesy" i joke not answering his question.

"you have that sickening effect on me" i shoved him a little.

"you might want to go back, there is no cannon so they will be wondering where you are." i told him.

"Did you like your necklace" he ignored my statement

"yes thank you, although telling someone from the Capitol?"

"i threaten to kill her if she breathed a word until we were ready"

"i think we just proved we were. we are being watched you know"

"I'll say it again i don't care" he kissed me one more time before jumping down and smiling back up at me then running off.