First Love - Four

Burton and I stood in the training room with every weapon I had been raised with around me. Atla was talking.

"In two weeks 23 of you will be dead, one of you will be alive who that is depends on how well you pay attention" I felt someone looking at me and it was Cato. It seemed like I was more interesting that what was being said.

"Particularly to what I about to say. First no fighting with the other tributes you'll have plenty of time for that in the arena. There are four compulsory exercises. The rest will be individual training. My advice is don't ignore the survival skills  everyone wants to grab a sword but most of you will die from natural causes. 10 percent from infection 20 percent from dehydration. Exposure can kill as easily as a knife." with that said we separated

I began teaching Burton things he needed to know and how to do things for half of the day then i did my own training.

"Burton go practice then have a look around you might want some allies apart from me. Okay" he nodded and i went do the knife station. the girl from 2 was hogging it.

"Care to let someone else have a try instead of hogging it" I breath. she turned to look at me.

"What did you just say."

"You've been hogging this station all day do something else while others like me have a go" I retort

"Like you can do any better" I smirk and take the knifes off her. Taking a deep breath I close my eyes and begin. Doing various movements like twists, turns, back flips and one over my back all hitting the kill shot. The girl from two stared at me in amazement.

"Catch you in the arena" I grin going over to swords.

"Hey" I turned to look at the girl from 12

"you're the one that warned my mentor about district 2" I nodded

"thought you might as well know your main competition." I shrugged and beginning to swing the sword around.

"Thank you...I'm Katniss by the way."

"Lacey" I replied

"You seem handy with that sword" I shrugged

"Yeah I can be." I bent backwards and cut of the dummies head.

"Wow" she breathed and I did a few manovers before going over to combat training. I stood behind Katniss when i heard an argument.

"Jason, where's my knife huh?"

"i didn't touch your knife." Jason replied

"I put my knife right there."

"I didn't touch your knife" i rolled my eyes as they started fighting. I heard a chuckle and I looked up. the girl from 11 and Burton were up above looking down both smiles on their faces. I smiled as I knew he not only found and ally  but someone fun. Sighing and looking back down. I went over to the two but mostly Cato and grabbed him by the scruff of his neck.

"Knock it off Cato, are you deaf and dumb or did you not here for saving it for the arena" I shoved him away. He glared at me.

"Whatever, Actually she's right I'll wait till the arena you'll be the first one i kill." he huffs and i go back to what i was doing.

Later that night when everyone was asleep i went up to the roof again and sat looking at the night sky.

"Why did you stop me today" It was Cato i sighed it was like he was stalking me.

"because it was stupid to blame the first person you see."

"not good enough" i sit up and look at him.

"you're mistaking me for someone who cares about what you think" i laid back down. I hear his footsteps come over.

"you made me look weak" i stayed silent

"you make me feel week" i heard him faintly mutter. I was going to comment on it but decided not to. He laid down next to me.

"What family did you leave behind?" he asked

"Excuse me"

"Everyone leaves someone so who was it for you" Did he have to talk to me? Why was he talking to me? I don't know but i knew if i stayed closed off for any longer i might as well become a heartless bitch

"My Dad" i replied

"Your Dad that went to the academy"

"They one and only...What about you"

"Just my parents. They won't even care if i die. Just disappointed but proud that I volunteered." he replied

"They can't be much good parents if they don't care whether you live or  die. If I die sorry when I die. I daren't think what my Dad will be like. I'm all he's got left, and even though he understands why i volunteered. Doesn't make him anymore happier. He was just saying the other day that he'll be happy after the reaping if i don't get chosen, It would mean I would likely have children. "

"would you have children?" he wondered

"no. I don't want them living in fear of reaching 12 and praying for seven years that they won't get picked to enter a stupid game that kills people. Even when you win your still haunted by what you've done."

"what makes you say that?"

"i see it in my mentors eyes. Survivors guilt that for them to be where they are now 23 others had to die. Some by their own hand. other by others, little by natural causes. The Capitol turns us into murderers, District 1 and 2 train them to be murderers with intent. and In 2 weeks i will join the list of the murderers and the dead"

"you're not going to die anytime soon. I've seen how you fight."

"i will because I'm planning to get my partner out alive."

"why"

"i have my reasons"  we lapsed into silence again when i decided to ask a question that has been bugging me.

"why do you talk to me? I've seen you in training and unless you're having a go and threaten someone you don't talk to anyone but careers"

"you are a career"

"I'm not i wasn't trained at the academy"

"but your father was and he trained you so technically I'm still taking with careers."

"Yes but i was raised as someone from district 8 its all i can remember. My life, hope and dreams are all in district 8. It doesn't matter where i was born or who my parents are, the environment around me that's made me who i am is district 8"

"your refreshing okay. I don't know what i can say that doesn't make me sound ridiculously girly. But there is something different about you Lacey Ryder and...i like it"