Chapter 12

I raised my eyebrows in shock. "I'm sorry I think you have the wrong house I'm an only child," I said.

"You're Riley Wilson right?" I nodded. "I have the right house. I was put up for adoption by your mother and father." I furrowed my eyebrows. I wasn't going to let her into my house. Just because she knows my name doesn't mean she's my sister.

"Can you excuse me for a second?" I asked. She nodded. I ran over to the living room and took my phone out of my pocket. I clicked my mother's contact. I tapped my foot on the ground as my phone was ringing. I let out a breath once I heard that she picked up.

"Mom there's a bit of a situation," I said making sure I didn't say it too loud.

"What is going on Riley." She huffed.

"There's a girl here named Erica here, and she said that she's your daughter," I replied. I heard her breath hitch.

"Invite her in and I'll be home in a few minutes." She said before she hung up. I shook my head but walked back to the door. I raised my eyebrow when I saw that Erica was standing in the hall.

"I'm sorry I was just curious." She said biting her lip.

"Uh, it's fine. Why don't we sit in the living room?" I replied. She nodded fixing her purse that was resting on her shoulder. I quickly closed the front door locking it before I showed Erica to the living room.

She took a seat on the couch and I took a seat on another couch across from her. She stared at me with a smile. I gave her an awkward smile. I guess there is a possibility of her being my sister. We have the same eyes and her nose kind of look's like my dad's.

There were similarities in our features, but that doesn't mean that we're related. I mean doppelgangers do exist. "So tell me about yourself," I said. I have no idea how to make this situation less awkward.

"Well, my parents are pretty cool. We went on tons of vacations when I was younger. They were really big on traveling. Um,  I just got out of a messy relationship with my boyfriend. I've been looking for you guys since I found out that I was adopted, he said that I let finding you guys consume me. So we ended up breaking up. He gave me ultimatums. He kept saying that I didn't need my paternal family because the life that I had was already a good one. He thought I was being greedy."

"Why did you want to find us that bad?" I asked.

"My curiosity got the best of me, I wanted to find out who my birth parents are, and then I found out that I have a little sister." She smiled. It seemed like she was genuine, but I didn't want to believe anything she said until my mother confirmed it. From what it seems like she doesn't resent me because my parents kept me and not her. 

  I've heard that happens a lot when kids find their paternal family and there's a younger sibling. I was curious and there was no way to sugarcoat this, so I was going to be blunt.

"Do you hate me because they kept me and not you?" I asked.

"No, I don't hate you, I've come to terms that them giving me up was probably going to be the best possible situation for me. I'm sure their situation changed before they had you and I've had a great life. So no, I don't hate you." She replied.

"Riley I'm home." My mother's voice echoed. I let out a breath of relief. For once I was thankful that she was home. I was never good at meeting new people. She walked into the room and for once it looked like she had nothing to say. "Hello, you must be Erica." She said.

"Yes, and you must be Mary my birth mother." Erica stood up walking towards my mother. Well, our mother I guess. There was a knock at the door. Thank goodness, I could feel the tension in the room.

"I'll get it." I stood up from my spot walking to the front door. I opened it and let out a breath when I saw it was Harry. He was still dressed in his suit from work. "Your timing is impeccable."

"What do you mean?" He asked as I pulled him into the house.

"I'll tell you, but first let's go to my room," I said guiding him upstairs to my room. He looked confused but he didn't fight me.

"Okay, so what's going on? I mean you have never been this happy to see me." He said sitting down on my bed.

"Well, I don't really have anyone to talk to at the moment since Paige and I aren't really talking." I started off my story and told him about how I met Erica and ended it with how she was currently in my living room with my mother.

"Sounds like your day was eventful. I was going to tell you about mine but yours easily tops mine." He smiled. "So what do you know about her?"

"Not much, just how she was put up for adoption and apparently my sister which I'm still not quite sure if that's true or not."

"Well, why don't we go find out." He said grabbing my hand. I normally would've pulled away, but I was too caught up in the fact that I could have a sister. We walked downstairs together my hand still in his.

"Harry, I didn't know you were here." My mother said with a big smile on her face. She is so far up his ass it's disgusting.

"Hello, Mrs. Wilson." He smiled back. "I'm Harry and you are?"

"I'm Erica, Riley's older sister." She replied.

"I thought that Riley was an only child?" He questioned. I was kind of thankful that he was here because he could ask all of the questions that I was too afraid to ask.

"We had to put Erica up for adoption when she was a baby because of financial situations. We were also still fairly young." She clarified.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Erica," Harry said extending his hand for her to shake.

"It's nice to meet you too." She replied shaking his hand. Today had me thinking about all the other things they could be possibly hiding from me.