Chapter 2

Chapter 2

.1.

Loud, ghastly noises made Jenn wake up. She bolted upright to sit in her bed. Her head hurt and she felt as though her thoughts were clouded by some distant fog. She blinked several times as her eyes adjusted to the little amount of light that the room offered. She looked above her to see a small, medieval style window in front of her. The noise of the thunderstorm blocked out all the distant echoes of horror in it background. Women, children screaming their lungs out. Jenn felt confused for a minute and then a wave of panic hit her.  Where was she? What happened? Her eyes dashed from one side of the room to another as she tried to figure out where she was. Her mobile. She needed to locate her mobile. Maybe she just had a drink last night – although she very much doubted and this was just her recovering from a blackout. She tried to remember something but nothing came. Her mobile was nowhere to be found.

After calming herself down slightly and trying to breathe normally she had tried to figure out what was going on. However she had little time to think. Suddenly, her door bursts open and a tall figure in chainmail bolts himself inside, panting so heavily so that he nearly blocks the roars of the thunderstorm.

“My lady !” the man in mail croaked out after taking a long breath “ we MUST move, we are under attack !!”

Jennifer’s jaw dropped, partly in confusion and partly in horror.

“Guinevere, Guinevere, my lady please!!” Begging, the knight grabbed her by the shoulder to drag her. Jenn had no choice but obey, as this man’s strength was unimaginable to her. Holding her shoulder firmly, the man dragged her down a long set of stairs from her chamber downwards, Jenn looking around wearily.

Guinevere? Why? What?

She decided it was not the right time to ask this right now, as obeying her saviour, they ran down the cold stone steps of the tower. She shivered, only now noticing that she was not wearing any form of footwear, she felt every stone as she ran.

They ran out of the keep now and were running across the fields. Jenn kept looking around, still unsure what was going on. She could not however understand anything as she was still being dragged by the heavy knight, and being unfit as she was, it was quite an effort to keep up for her.

“Not far my lady. Just around there we should be able to hide behin-“

Out of nowhere an arrow struck the knight in the back. He fell forwards to his knees and cried out in pain, releasing Jenn. Shocked, but to her surprise not panicking stricken, Jenn bent down to the knight. He was breathing heavily.

“..Leave..lady…” he coughed out, pushing her away from him.

Without further thought, Jenn put the knight’s shoulder around her and lifted him up. Despite his constant protests that she should leave him, she insisted that they continue together. Jenn was freaking, they were moving really slowly and not being sure where the first arrow came from she was terrified that yet more arrows would come out of nowhere. She could not understand why she was called lady all the time either but what she could not understand the most was why this was some sort of medieval… she could not find the words for it. Now she was concerned on getting the both of them to safety. The knight must have been in such pain she thought to herself. If and only IF they would get to safety how would she help him ? She had no clue about arrows….or battles…or anything that happened from when she woke up.

“Over there” The knight pointed weakly at the forest in the far distance. “I suspect if anyone else lived they will be there..” He coughed again

“The forest ?” Jenn burst out in panic “would there be more of the attackers there?”  it was hard for her to see the knights expression behind the metal helmet, but she felt like she just asked a stupid question. They were nearly at the forest. They were both panting. Jenn from her lack of fitness and the knight from weakness and pain.