Chapter 4

Okay so this chapter is shorter than I expected, but i did not want to include too much, otherwise it would spoil the whole thing. Its sort of a gap filler between chapter 3 and 5. Anyways, enjoy :)

Chapter 4

An old man lay on his bed relaxing as his scribe scribbled a letter. The man occasionally added his own comment but otherwise he just lay there, relaxing. The siege had been heavy on Lyonesse this time and it was time for him to seek a strong ally so that Lyonesse could live in peace. Fortunate for him, a warlord under the name of Arthurius had expressed interest in his beautiful daughter. The scribe’s order was to write a letter to be delivered to Camelot as to invite the great king Arthurius to meet with his daughter.

Inside he was panicking as his daughter was not found after the siege and he feared the worst. Even so, fortunately he had heard from his loyal knights that he body was not found, which still gave him much hope as mot finding his daughter is best than finding her dead remains.

He had been meaning to sent this invitation for a long time and he feared that he delayed it too long. The scribe finished writing the letter and getting up hastily to free the chair, moved to the side to wait for his lord to sign the letter. The old man got up slowly and signed the letter quickly before he handed it to his scribe.

“Get someone to deliver it. Someone whom you trust. And deliver it fast…I fear the next attack will come soon” the man whispered to his scribe, pushing him towards the door. The relatively weak looking scribe ran out quickly in search of someone capable of delivering the letter.

--

Travelling to Lyonesse was different that escaping it for Jenn. Brennus had gotten her a horse from one of his neighbours and now she travelled like a “proper lady should” according to Brennus. That is on horseback in the most elegant blue dress that she ever seen in her life. Brennus walked beside her, not dressed in armour as his back was still recovering but with a vicious looking greatsword strapped on his back along with several knives that were strapped to his sides. While Jenn wondered how he was able to handle carrying such a blade, she concluded that this was perhaps to his enormous and muscular body, a body that she would not have seen back in Cornwall as she knew.  To her he resembled a bear, but a bear that was as fast as any wildcat if given a chance to jump at its prey.

Now that it was close to midday she could see more clearly the surroundings around her. She could see some distant towers in the distance along with smoke coming from the same direction.  She still questioned how she managed to escape all of this, but more so how she ended up here in the first place.

“We should be in Lyonesse in a few hours lady” Brennus stated monotonously while still looking forwards towards Lyonesse. Jenn sighed; she wondered if she would see the old woman that must have brought her here again.

More so she wondered if she would ever be able to get back to her home. She was in Cornwall on a holiday after all.

They arrived to the gates (or more what remained of the gates) of Lyonesse within about two hours. Jenn could see several guards approach her.  One of the guards helped her get off the horse, while the other ran off quickly, evidently to inform the royal lord of his daughters return.

“Who is this?” the guard asked wearily , pointing at Brennus

“He..eh saved me…when the siege was…” The guard looked disbelievingly at Brennus, his fingers feeling the sword that was strapped to his side. Brennus looked at the gesture and started doing a similar one, that is having his fingers on his sword. Jenn could feel the tension between the two men but thankfully an old man ran out of the gates of the palace to the courtyard where they were, almost tripping over his own feet in the process.

“Daughter!!” he shouted, running up and hugging Jenn tightly, almost too tight, infact, Jenn found it hard to breathe. She coughed and the old man let go looking around the courtyard. His eyes fixed on Brennus who now was looking really nervous due to the fact that the guards were all looking hostile towards him.

“He…he saved me..” Jenn croaked out looking the old man into his green eyes. The old man nodded and both Jenn and Brennus let out a sigh of relief as the guards ceased looking at Brennus in a hostile manor that they were.

“Well then…come on inside to my court. You do after all deserve a reward for bringing my daughter safely home. Brennus nodded and followed Jenn and the old man inside, followed by the royal guardsman.

 ---

“I have some news for you my child..” the old man gestured Jenn to sit opposite him in the miniature dining area that they were now in. Brennus was instructed to wait in the throne room, while Jenn and the old man were to discuss important affairs.

“really?” Jenn asked curiously

“Really father” the old man corrected “still the same as you were when you were younger. You are going to have to be more polite when Lord Arthur comes here…”

“Lord Arthur?” Jenn was even more intrigued. Arthur as in the –

No that could not be the case.

“who?” she asked him

“Lord Arthur Pendragon, he expressed interest in you to be his bride…don’t you remember?” her “father” croaked out annoyed slightly. He let out a deep breath to calm himself down and continued “ about this knight…Brennus you said…I want to award him…but how?”

“Make him my royal guard perhaps?” Jenn offered not really sure

“Ah…but he is a knight…you are a maiden…I cannot have people talking about…you and him..” her father looked uncomfortably at her.

“But its nothing…I-“

“I know my dear but people talk. We would not want this news to get back to Lord Arthur now would we? He would run from you before he even met you…I need this alliance”  her father explained. Seeing Jenn’s disappointed expression he softened.

“Dear I suppose there is something that could be done. He could be made your guard….your personal guard. But…your main servant is still Áine, the girl has served you well in years…” Jenn hugged the old man. After all Brennus was her only connection to the old woman…

She could not understand how she could be mistaken for Guinevere here….even by her father.. How could this be the case? I am Guinevere, I always was..

That thought had come to her randomly and it was not even her thought…well this was just weird.

“Now off to your bed chamber my dear. Lord Arthur should be here tomorrow morning, if the scout was correct. Jenn went up to her chamber, which was now being refurnished due to the fire and mess that she and Brennus caused when they escaped. She smiled

Tomorrow I will meet Arthur…

Okay another chapter of 6th dimension ! comment and vote if you like this :)

next chapter will be first meeting with Arthur Pendragon...how exciting !!