Chapter 9

Another chapter ! right  just want to say that this book is not exactly going to follow the legend of king arthur, it is my interpretation of the story after all :) In this chapter events have moved on quite a bit. as stated in my authors note its 7 years after chapter 8. A bit of the chapter is written from Mordred's POV. enjoy :)

Part 2 – Queen of Camelot

Chapter 9.

7 years later…

Mordred watched his uncle pace the grand hall of Camelot’s large Citadel. The hall being used primarily as a quiet place for reading or looking out of the large windows with the picturesque view of Camelot’s market. But this room was not silent today. Heavy steps were not only the sounds that were heard, but also deep, heavy breaths.

It had been seven years. Seven long years. Guinevere or Gwen as now everybody seemed to call her was on the other side of the castle – feeding her only surviving child that was born only 3 years ago, a weak and frail little boy. The other two had only lived to their first birthday, a boy and a girl. It was a surprise to anyone in Arthur’s court that this lad had lived for so long, as the physicians said that his health so weak when he had been born.

Arthur himself was really cautious around him, only letting certain people take care of him. He only held him several times himself during these years, as he was afraid that he would somehow hurt him, not intentionally but as a child so frail he would damage it.

Mordred reminded Arthur of his mother, their resemblance was quite big. He was spending more time with his uncle ever since Morgan had given birth to another child since she got married, a child she called Owen. While the child was now 5 years old, Morgan had to make sure she sorted out everything in her own castle now, due to the death of her husband a year ago.

“She takes longer these days…” Mordred said quietly looking out of the nearby window. He looked at his uncle and after seeing that the Lord was busy with his own thoughts just sighed and looked out of the window again.

“Yes she does…” Arthur responded finally “at least this child lives. Despite all odds…”

“Oh yes. I am surprised. I had seen him not only a week ago, he looked sickly but then again he always does.” Mordred continued.

“my son, Gwrtheyrn will live. If he hath the strength of his mother” Arthur informed boldly “if he still lives, I am sure that he will succeed me.”

There was a knock on the door.

“Enter” Arthur stated, turning around. He smiled seeing Morgan enter.

“My Lord I-“

“You don’t have to call me that” Arthur cut her off, hugging her.

“Mother!” Mordred exclaimed. After hugging Arthur ,Morgan turned to Mordred, hugging him also.

“ I have news for you my Lord” Morgan continued “ Of my brother” she added biting her lip

“Oh of my loyal friend Merlyn how is he? I have not seen him a long time, not since the coronation” Arthur said remembering Merlyn and Morgan watching him as he took the crown.

“He informed me that he wishes to see the child” Morgan explained.

“Oh” Arthur said barely heard. “But why now?”

“He had lived the longest, Merlyn wishes to see your successor from your new wife” Morgan practically hissed out the last words.

“Oh right. Mordred, could you leave us for a while, I just want to discuss a few things with your mother…” Mordred looked at his uncle and nodding, got up and left, closing the door silently behind him.