Prologue

Prologue

(Chloe's POV)

It was the day of my brother and I's birthday.

            I know what you're thinking. My brother Eric and I are twins, right?

            Wrong.

            Eric Gillman is my older brother by exactly two years, three hours, and thirty-two and a half minutes.

            I was just unfortunate enough to be born on the same day two years later, as my brother.

            I stand up, suddenly overwhelmed in mixed emotions: fear, anticipation, anxiety, thrill, and impatience. Although my older brother is turning eighteen today, I'm now a sixteen year old, and we all know what this means.

            Sixteen years ago, I was born into the Night Fury pack; one of the largest and most powerful packs in the United States. Lucky for me, my parents are the Alpha and Luna of this pack so I basically have Alpha blood running through my veins.

            From what my parents have told me since I was young and able to understand, your wolf remains dormant until the day of your sixteenth birthday. This is where the moon goddess decides to be a sexist arse.

            Male werewolves have to go through their excruciatingly painful first shift until they can change whenever they want.

            Of course, females have it so much worse. After our sixteenth birthday on our first full moon is when our first shift begins. Every full moon we have to experience the pain of our bones snapping and our bodies morphing into abnormally large hairy beasts.

            If you think the pain disappears the first shift, you're wrong.

            When we finally turn eighteen, the full moon agonizing transformations stop and we can finally shift whenever we pleased just like the male werewolves.

            This isn't where our unluckiness ends, though.

            The moment all werewolves hit eighteen, the quest for our mates begin. However, the males have it easy yet again. Every month instead of a period like a human would have, female wolves go into heat. This is pain one hundred times more painful than normal cramps ripping throughout your whole body along with a spiking fever impossibly high for a human to bear. Only your mate can relieve you from your heat by, well . . . mating with you.

            Yeah, I'm not really looking forward to that at this moment.

            "Chloe Elizabeth," my mother scolds from outside my door as I jump, snapping me out of my thoughts, "You have two hours until you and Eric's party! You better be getting ready, young lady!"

            I cringe at my mother's fierce tone. I mean I love her and all, but she can be extremely intimidating at times.

            I scoff and plead silently to Fate or the Moon Goddess—whomever is listening—that the door to my room doesn't bust in and my mother doesn't come through to see that I am lying, "Of course, mother!"

            "Good," she says as I faintly listen in as the Beta of our pack, Rick, calls out for their Luna. Apparently, they need to attend yet another meeting.

            I sigh in relief once my mother is gone. I've always been a good girl which is an advantage. On the rare occasions I have to fib a little, my mother will believe me.