Chapter 7

Chapter Seven

(Dylan's POV)

I'm pissed.

At myself, at Fate, at both of our packs; at the fucking world.

But I'm not pissed at Chloe. Heck, I could never stay angry at her even if I tried.

It takes everything in me to turn my back and walk away from her beautiful, pain-filled face. It takes every ounce of willpower to not rush back, cradle her in my arms, and coo to her that everything will be just fine.

Nothing will ever be fine.

All of the worst possible scenarios start to run through my head about everything that could go wrong with us announcing our fate.

In the end, we'll both just be hurt, or dead.

As an image of Chloe's pale, lifeless body flashes in my mind, my lip pulls back into a loud snarl that quiets the whole cafeteria. My pack imminently stops what they're doing to bow their head submissively.

Oops. I didn't mean to intertwine my Alpha command into my snarl. Oh well, I like when they bow down to me anyway.

I mind link all of the possible pack members that know about my mate and inform them all to meet me in the clearing in my woods closet to where the border of my pack and the Night Fury pack meet. It's a very unfortunate place since it's dangerously close to my sworn enemies, but it's the only clearing where my pack members won't be straying off to train or do other things.

I'm not slow to storm out of the pack house and slam the door behind me. I pull my shirt as fast as I possibly can without ruining it over my head before unbuckling my pants and slipping off my boxers along with them, I'm in too much of a rush to even care where I throw my clothes, so I just leave them in a heap on the ground near the pack house. Jet black fur begins to sprout from the pores on my arms as I quickly shift into my beast. He's been surprisingly quiet this morning during Chloe and I's argument, but had let loose a couple of whines and growls.

Ah, that feels nice. It's about time you let me out, you inconsiderate bastard!

Shut up, I chide my wolf, I'm already in a bad mood and I don't need you making my day worse.

You're day couldn't get any worse, he says matter-of-factly, and neither could mine. Our mate is hurting. He releases a small whine and my heart clenches painfully. I suddenly get a strong desire to rush back to her and I skid to a stop to pause my running.

I promise I'll make it up to her, I reassure him, when I'm done with pack duties, I will go straight to her.

Why can't we got now, he snarls, she is more important than anything else to me.

I can't argue with you there, I admit, but I have to think of a good apology and erase my pack members that know about hers' memories.

My wolf doesn't have a response, so I press on and start dashing through the woods again, lifting my nose to take in the fresh spring breeze as my paws pound through melting snow and wet mud.

At times like this, I'm glad my pelt is all black.

I scan my surroundings with heightened sight and hearing as I perk my ears for any nearby pack members that could be eavesdropping. When I don't sense any, I grunt and begin to slow my pace. I suddenly halt as I remember something. I turn my head slightly to the left and sure enough, there is a familiar stream, the water beginning to turn to slush. I quickly decide that I have a good couple minutes before my desired pack members arrive at the clearing and I quickly change direction. I leap over the small stream and dash through the trees, my tongue lolling out of my mouth. I skid to a stop next to a tree dotted with many green buds and I spot a stone pathway, my hard façade slowly slips and I whine in agony as I stare at the stone pathway. I pad slowly down the pathway, almost positive that I'm leaving muddy paw prints behind. At this point, I could care less because then my eyes come in contact with a beautiful house surrounded with multiple naked trees, bare bushes, and stale grass.