Chapter 5

Chapter Five

(Chloe's POV)

"Wait, so let me get this straight: you woke up in a cell a couple hours ago, looked the Alpha of our enemy pack dead in the eyes, found out he was your mate, and then almost got seduced by him?"

I nod, confirming Lilah's brief summary of the past twelve hours, "Yup, that about sums it up."

Suddenly, she jumps up from the bed and begins squealing and jumping up and down like a five year old. I roll my eyes and rest my head on the palm of my head in boredom, waiting for the moment when she decides to act her age again.

"Are you done yet," I ask, my voice monotone as she finally decides to calm down.

"Almost," she shoots me a look before another huge smile breaks out on her face and she resumes waving her hands in the air frantically and jumping around.

A moment later, she takes a deep breath as the coloring in her face returns back to normal, "Okay, now I'm done."

I raise an eye brow," What was that about anyway? Do you find my miserable life absolutely humorous and whimsical?"

"Hey," she wiggles a finger at me, looking at me sternly, "I never said that. But your life is pretty awesome. I mean, come on. Who finds out that their mate is, in fact, and Alpha, on their sixteenth birthday? And on top of that, he's the alpha of our enemy pack!"

I throw my hands up in exasperation, "I really don't see where you're going with this, Lilah, but you better get to the point."

She rolls her eyes, "Okay, Miss, I'm-too-defiant-and-stubborn-to-admit-that-I-actually-want-to-maul-my-mate." I open my mouth of protest, but she quickly silences me with her hand, "As I was saying, your mate is our enemy. So basically, you're love is forbidden," she squeals.

"I don't really know if you've noticed, Lilah, but having a mate that is Alpha of a pack that most likely will abhor my guts is not comical," I shoot her a knowing look.

"I know that's how you feel, Chlo, but I think you're story will have a happy ending," she says, plopping herself down on Dylan's bed next to me. Honestly, I've been struggling not to just bury my face in one of his pillows and breathe in his intoxicating scent. Once I managed to convince Dylan to retrieve Lilah from her cell, we wolfed down (ha, get my pun?) some of the pack food and quenched our thirst. It took some begging, but I also managed to convince Dylan to give Lilah and I a little private time in his bedroom while he "didn't listen to us at all" down in his study.

He claims the walls in his room are sound proof, but I've still decided that I'm not going to trust my enemy.

I know I'm being slightly harsh and stubborn, but hey, I have to take my precautions.

"Last time I checked, happy endings only occurred in books," I scoff, deciding to take a quick glance back at his very fluffy looking and inviting pillow. Just one sniff. . . ?

"Yeah, but cliché moments happen in real life, too! For Dylan and you, things might start out rough, but in the end, it'll all get better," she reassures me.

"Lilah," I make sure I'm staring at her seriously, dead in the eye before I continue, "I don't want to depend on false hope, okay?"

She sighs, defeated, and nods. I shoot her a soft smile and drape my arm over she shoulders as she leans her head on my shoulder.